Seasons and shooting

walt1980

Was chatting at work today and all said where we are (east Anglia) doesn't seem to get as cold until later in the year now. Used to get really cold by November, seems like it's mid December now before it gets cold and goes trough until march or April.

Just wondered whether it's affected the shooting much? I only started game shooting last season so wouldn't know. Been told when it's warmer the birds spread out more and don't go into woods as much making it harder to drive them over the guns in decent quantity. Didn't know whether anyone had noticed any changes???

I think many game shooters are of the opinion that October is now too early to start the pheasant season, and many indeed don't start shooting until November.

I don't mind really, but would prefer it if pheasants in particular could be shot until the end of Feb' to make up for the late start.

I don't think it will happen.

Same with wildfowling, due to milder weather in the autumn encouraging late broods of duck, many wildfowlers feel the season should start in late September/October and finish at the end of February.

I with many others think the same way , at the moment I cant really feel in the wildfowling mood , I would be happy if it started on the 20th Sept and finished the same day as coastal fowling , then nobody have lost anything .

Do it honestly make sense from the first of February, where you can shoot at a duck going onto a marsh standing below high water mark on the estuary wall but you cant shoot at a duck coming off the marsh going on to the estuary while standing on the other side of the wall, by both inland and coastal finishing at the same time this would allow you to shoot marsh and estuary without breaking any laws.

Seen similar here, and also seen some very young grey partridge a couple of weeks ago.

Our first Partridge shoot is 30th Sept , about a week earlier than last year due to lifting the sugar beet on where the drives are the first week in October . we don't shoot driven Pheasants till early Nov although they sometimes allow a good Pheasant taken on the late October Partridge shoots .

But the big problem u have with starting later in the year is that spring is also earlier in many places too.

By mid/late feb many mallard are starting to pair up, ur migratory are getting ready to head to the breeding grounds, (in some areas geese may get quite a hounding at times) by march many pheasants are beginning to hold harems (and I'm sure its earlier down south) partridges will be pairing up.

Also in many areas now shoots are far more commercial and shooting far more days than ever before, its only fair to let the woods settle down and every other animal settle down for a few weeks before breeding.

Even nowadays many estates are not keen on letting stalkers on throu the season, that means more Roe does will be shot far later in the season while heavily pregnant (it ws only fairly recently the Roe season was extended in Eng)

If u want to shoot early seasons birds there is plenty of time if u get ur birds early enough, june or early July poults will be ready by Oct.

I bet if u asked any keeper not many would be that keen on any extension, most only get a few weeks off holidays before the rearing field goes up and pens to be built etc

I thnk the season is plenty long enough, I know by end Jan I'm usually looking forward to it

For ur last post I have no idea if there used to be as many late broods, althou I would imagine possibly not as many late broods will be because the 1st/2nd or even 3rd attempt at nesting have failed either with weather or predation. Even 30 years ago u tended to get better summers and less vermin about

I think it is already happening I personally don't start shooting our pheasants till the third week of October . Granted I have to stop on the first of February .We shoot every other Saturday and every Saturday in January at the end of the three month period I am glad of the rest . As for the weather we have just had the wettest month on record and i put my heating on today the earliest for years

I have 2 regular Pheasant shoots, neither start until the first week of November.

I don't have to much problem with any of the other seasons, but I simply don't understand the conflict between the Wildlife and Countryside Act which VERY SIMPLY says Non indigenous escapes should be dealt with, and the fact that Chinese Water Deer have been given a season!

We start early October to ensure we keep to our fort nightly timetable but the rules for the first two shoots are partridges plus pheasant only if they have a good tail. Fines are passed out for 'squeakers'. Should be ok this year with quite a good head of last years plus early broods following a good Spring/early summer. My only issue is really the weather - I don't like sweating on peg and would much rather have a foot of snow but this is very very rare in Norfolk.

We start early October to ensure we keep to our fort nightly timetable but the rules for the first two shoots are partridges plus pheasant only if they have a good tail. Fines are passed out for 'squeakers'. Should be ok this year with quite a good head of last years plus early broods following a good Spring/early summer. My only issue is really the weather - I don't like sweating on peg and would much rather have a foot of snow but this is very very rare in Norfolk.

That's not a bad rule to go by, partridge or decent tail! I like that, will pass that on I think. Our first is mid October and will probably be pretty warm, as you said, not a lot of snow about this way!

Hate warm early seasons. You go fully clothed to stand in the cold and are dripping by time you get on your peg. Last year unless it was raining I shot in shirt sleeves. Never really got cold all season,a decade ago same place I don't think I've felt the cod so much,it hurt your ears and fingers even with hats and gloves.

Our seasons have become warmer and a lot wetter.

as our seasons weather wise are changing greatly I believe that common sense needs to be applied as to when shoots start,i would say if you have good numbers of adults with chicks at this time of year you do not shoot,we will have to accept that the season will get shorter as the weather changes,self regulation is far better than having it forced upon you,the anti's will make good of any excuse to close a shoot,and the way our lawmakers are I can see the season for game being cut by a month either way,i was cutting grass a couple of weeks ago and saw several clutches of chicks with adults,i myself do not shoot live quarry however I would not like to see it destroyed for those who do,look after it of lose it.