Visualisation that might help you with lead

DanBettin

I think I've turned a corner with my sporting game, and wanted to share something that's helped me massively in case it can help other 'junior' shooters too. One thing I've struggled with is lead. I can shoot straight springing teals or even away birds fairly consistently. When they just hang there waiting for the shot there aren't any problems hitting it on the button. The problem is with lead.

Now I knew, in my head - logically, that lead should be calculated and given, but I didn't 'feel' it, and from what I can gather shooting is all about feeling where to place the shot rather than thinking about it.

I worked out that I was hardly ever too far ahead of the bird and 90% of the time behind it, I wasn't being brave enough with the lead and I suspect it's because I managed to deduce it to the fact I felt the shot instantly arrives at it's target. Probably a combination of the power of the gun, and the fact it can hit a teal straight on with virtually no delay. Last night I went for a shoot and tried visualising the cardtridges as exceptionally slow (somehow). As in, the shot takes twice as long as it should do to hit the target than other cartridges.

This visualisation helped me to over-compensate, so I wasn't thinking about calculating lead, I was just feeling it because I felt I needed to cater for the (mythical) slow cartridge speed. Last night I was smashing crossers and even loopers at a rate I've never managed.

Apologies for the rambling, especially to the more experienced, but felt I had to share since I think it near enough instantly improved my game, can't wait to get back out.

That's great news .. these little breakthroughs are what you need to keep moving forwards.

Gil Ash talks a lot about feel ... not sure if you've seen any of his stuff yet ... a video is one thing, but you can't beat keeping your brain out of it, and actually feeling it !!

A classic way 'fowlers learn about lead is by swinging through the first duck in the pack, and then seeing the last one drop :whistling:

I hope you continue to enjoy your journey :good:

I'm no sporting ninja, and crossers are always tricky for me "if" I over think them; like worrying about lead. A big eye opener for me was standing behind a pal shooting at a 30y target, with an ear plug removed, I don't remember what type of target it was but what I do remember was the delay in the sound of the target being hit, from seeing it break, to hearing the impact. That helped a lot and helped me visualise the time it takes my round to get to the target.

Anyway, well done on your breakthrough !!!

Whatever works for you is the right way 👍

Everyone perceives speed, lead and everything else you can think of differently consequently there is no absolute X amount of lead required for XYZ target. Not in my opinion anyway. Having said that I don't see lead on any clay or game bird.

These little moments of realisation are things things that allow us to take big steps forward in our shooting. You will have lots of these moments as your shooting progresses.

At first there is something very disconcerting about shooting at a patch of empty sky and trusting that the clay will arrive there at the same time as your shot.

That is why people will often talk about having a memory bank of different target presentations, the more you shoot the more you experience and the more little moments of realisation you will have.

There will also be targets that you think needs no lead and they need loads, and conversely there will be some that you think need loads of lead and they really only need pointing at. It is a beguiling game, but a fun one.

Had an air rifle for years and when i went and got my sgc i thought this is going to be easy with all that lead in the air these pigeons are going to be falling out of the sky :no: several years on am still better on the bunnies than crossing pigeon shots,usaully wait for them to fold their wings heading into pattern for a more easier shot :yes: