Young Uns Flocking Up Now.

marsh man

Went and had a look this afternoon at a wheat field that had been diced two days ago , this is normally a good area and you can nearly always expect a bit of shooting , anyhow , pulling up to the field , the first thing I noticed was the amount of pigeons moving about on the pulled up stubble , with a clear sky and very little breeze I decided to set up on the edge of the wood , knowing the area well I knew if they didn't decoy then I would get a few shots at pigeons making there way to the wood , as it turned out , this is exactly what happened , pigeons paid no attention to the decoys but now again one or two would swing round and present a head on shot trying to get into the fir wood.

With the dog enjoying a few retrieves in the wood and ignoring the odd ones shot over decoys he is now beginning to put things together , still a long way to go but as they say , practice makes perfect , he will never be perfect but he is getting plenty of practice and earning his keep.

With the sky getting darker and darker and 5 o clock approaching it was time to call it a day , with having 18 in the hide and 6 in amongst the decoys it was a very good afternoons sport .

Where I said the other week there were very few young ones in the bag , well today was the reverse with I recon two thirds of todays bag being young and in very good condition .

I am seeing lots of young birds too. Soon they will get together as you say and fly around with gay abandon not at all like the older birds flight pattern.

When I had my first shot there was a cloud of em got up from the field I was on and the surrounding fields , two of the winter barley fields were planted with Fodder Radish which is now coming up ( looks like small rape plants ) , pigeons were going onto these fields but I would of thought for any loose grain rather than the new plantings .

Some of the young ones must have hatched out early / mid summer by the weight and size of them , nearly as big as the old ones , minus the White neck markings.

still not seeing a lot of young birds round here this year,not like last year, and year befor. any way good on the shooting you had.

Hopefully you will before long , they do tend to move around , why ?, I haven't got a clue , most probably clear all the grain off one field and then move on to another food supply .