A question of gas.

fatchap

After a few good years of service and countless hairdryers my charcoal powered forge has died. It went out in spectacular style when the bottom gave out in full burn resulting in a rather large fire.

So I'm in the middle of a new build and going for a propane powered one. Ten fire bricks some angled ally and a propane torch. Its the torch that I'm struggling to settle on. Which is best? A "long arm" roofers torch? A short jobbie for general use? All the ones I have seen on the tube seem to have a large nozzle or are jerry rigged from some copper pipe, some PTFE tape and lots of praying, now as I am not gas safe registered I think I'll go for a over the counter torch, so which one?

Also any info on what regulator I need would be grand.

Its mainly going to be used for heat treats on blades, I doubt it will get hot enough to melt brass, something my old forge did very well.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting post, have thought about building one myself. Looking at some used on youtube, I would feel a bit uneasy looking at that rubber feed tube being so close to the oven. I have seen some gas forges with the bottle literally beneath the oven. If you decide to build dont forget pics, look forward to seeing it.