Not quite decoying

Dr D

I had a frustrating but enjoyable day. At about 2pm I found a hundred on so on an old barley stubble. I set up straight away. The birds came back in two big bunches. I pushed them off again without firing a shot.

A proper flight then started, but as they came back in two and threes they skirted the field and wouldn't decoy. I tried everything to no avail. By 4 pm I had pulled down about twenty or so. Not one had decoyed and most where stratospheric.

The wind picked up and few large showers kept pushing through. The birds still weren't playing ball, so it was time to change tactics. I abandoned the decoys moved down the field and buried myself in a dry ditch. From here I could intercept them high on the line into the field.

I finished at 6.30 and picked up 81. So turned out a good afternoon, although not as I had intended.

There is only a few birds in pic. I had to pack up two locations in a hurry as the weather was turning real nasty.

post-2557-0-49897600-1504813864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr D

Congrats for making the best out of a potentially bad day, I know some "shooters" that go home if the usual doesn't work.

I am shooting much smaller bags with the same "no decoy" tactics.

Its not so much that the birds won't decoy, its just that they are in very small groups over a wide area.

The most I have seen on one field is about 10-15.

Lots of pairs still evident.

They don't seem to be committed to anywhere and are just moving around from field to field.

Rather frustrating. :unhappy:

Congrats for making the best out of a potentially bad day, I know some "shooters" that go home if the usual doesn't work.

I am shooting much smaller bags with the same "no decoy" tactics.

Its not so much that the birds won't decoy, its just that they are in very small groups over a wide area.

The most I have seen on one field is about 10-15.

Lots of pairs still evident.

They don't seem to be committed to anywhere and are just moving around from field to field.

Rather frustrating. :unhappy:

much the same story here.........