Leptospirosis

KFC

My LandRover has a first aid kit but also ALWAYS a bottle of Vet's hand wash liquid and some clean water. Used to manage a small trout stream and was always careful to wash up after working there. One of the EA blokes told me he caught it from working on rivers and it almost did for him. Heed the warning, it ain't nice.

Just been diagnosed with Leptospirosis and I'm on antibiotics.

Don't take chances if you've got Rats around your pens, it's quite unpleasant. :no:

Hope you make a good recovery

I lost a 5 year old springer to the disease a few years back. He had been inoculated as well

My sympathies. I'm just getting over a case of Leptospriosis contracted a month ago which unfortunately for me, transpired to be the more serious Weil's disease version. Emergency services eventually were called after I deteriorated (fever of 40 degrees for almost 5 days) and both kidneys and liver have been affected. Spent almost 3 weeks bed-ridden and two of those three weeks were a living hell with severe abdominal pain, headaches, fever and joint aches plus pretty well no sleep for several weeks. I lost almost a stone. It's a serious illness which shouldn't be taken lightly. I have been told that it may take months for me to properly recover. Immediate treatment with Doxycycline is the usual prescribed treatment. Hope you recover swiftly KFC.

All you guys out mixing it with pheasant feeders over this coming season (where rats may visit) be very careful with hygiene, and cover any open wounds. mine was contracted they think from getting open wounds infected.

My sympathies. I'm just getting over a case of Leptospriosis contracted a month ago which unfortunately for me, transpired to be the more serious Weil's disease version. Emergency services eventually were called after I deteriorated (fever of 40 degrees for almost 5 days) and both kidneys and liver have been affected. Spent almost 3 weeks bed-ridden and two of those three weeks were a living hell with severe abdominal pain, headaches, fever and joint aches plus pretty well no sleep for several weeks. I lost almost a stone. It's a serious illness which shouldn't be taken lightly. I have been told that it may take months for me to properly recover. Immediate treatment with Doxycycline is the usual prescribed treatment. Hope you recover swiftly KFC.

All you guys out mixing it with pheasant feeders over this coming season (where rats may visit) be very careful with hygiene, and cover any open wounds. mine was contracted they think from getting open wounds infected.

Near word for word my experience too.

I went 5 days with zero sleep and it seriously drove me mental,and they stuck me in a room in the local hospital with 4 old lads and all they did was speak about tractors and farming when i just wanted to sleep.

The hallucinations were unbelievable and i was completely yellow when i finally got home.

Near word for word my experience too.

I went 5 days with zero sleep and it seriously drove me mental,and they stuck me in a room in the local hospital with 4 old lads and all they did was speak about tractors and farming when i just wanted to sleep.

The hallucinations were unbelievable and i was completely yellow when i finally got home.

Yup...it's truly dreadful. I had to be given drugs to sleep after I started recovering as eventually I went almost 3 weeks with a maximum of 2 hours sleep a night after the first 5 nights without any sleep. That and the constant aches and pain makes it something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. To rub salt in, the anti-B's made me quite sick but as I hadn't eaten, it just resulted in painful wretching for days. We hear a lot about Lymes, but little of the dangers of Weils, including a frighteningly high mortality rate if not caught in time (for the more serious Weils). It killed a chap where I once worked after he fell into the local cut and got infected with Weils after ingesting canal water.

Thanks for cheering me up chaps. :rolleyes:

I've just done 7 days of Doxycycline and I thought it was working but it seems the Leprechauns are fighting back so now I'm on 1500 a day of Amoxicillin and I've just been to hospital for blood tests and they've told me that, if the count is high, they'll pull me in for IV treatment. :no:

Edited by KFC

Thanks for cheering me up chaps. :rolleyes:

I've just done 7 days of Doxycycline and I thought it was working but it seems the Leprechauns are fighting back so now I'm on 1500 a day of Amoxicillin and I've just been to hospital for blood tests and they've told me that, if the count is high, they'll pull me in for IV treatment. :no:

it sounds like youre having a right rough time of things , all the very best for a full and speedy recovery.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all the messages and an update.

Had to have a second round of much stronger antibiotics but I finished that course 3 weeks ago. After 10 days I began to feel rough again and thought the Leprechauns, as my wife calls them, were on the rampage again but from the end of last week I've been feeling much better so I think my own immune system is now holding its own and I'm on the mend.

I'm alot more careful about hygene when I'm out and about now, antibacterial hand gels, wipes and gloves etc.

I'd just like to repeat, be careful out there and don't skimp on H&S cos it is very unpleasant and Rats don't care who they throw their Leprechauns at.

Good to hear your on the mend but the one good thing about this thread is it has brought it to our attention. Remind a friend or two.

Handling pheasants, particularly by the feet .. which I just hate to see ... will also give you some agony. A bottle of vets hand wash or similar cost nothing compared with your health. Take care out there.