Polystyrene and adhesive ?

30-6

After failing to catch any mink on land after they killed some friends ducks, I'm going to try two rafts on his lake. One with a fenn mk 6 and one livecatch.

I have the materials, and some questions.

I will be sandwiching the polystyrene between plywood with coachbolts. If I used something like no nails type of adhesive to strengthen the build would it attack the polystyrene ?

Also, to help protect the plywood would it be best to use cuprinol, varnish or both ?

Cheers in advance.

I did read while researching this not to use oil based preserves but cuprinol and varnish was mentioned to use.

I have various tubes of DIY stuff out the shed, I will look to see if I have a non solvent based one there, if not I will use double sided tape ( never thought of that beforehand ).

I think before assembly I'll have a think and might cuprinol then varnish, especially the edges, to help slow up deterioration of the plywood while in or out of the water.

Thanks for all the input.

Have u tried looking on the GWCT website, they developed the rafts, I looked at them years ago.

If u had 4 coach bolts would u really need any adhesive?

I don't think treating ply with anything will make an awful lot of difference esp when its sitting in water, it's not like it is real wood, I'd pay extra and get some marine ply.

If ur on a lake I won't matter so much but if on a river its surprising how thick a rope u need to cope with floods (really a 10 or 13mm poly rope, ur normal 8mm ropes just burst)