Breeding from my boy

hitfreshairagain

Hi Everyone hope you can help on a topic I know nothing about.I have a 7 year old black lab who I have trained for picking up on a local shoot and to take pigeon shooting with me.He has a wonderful soft temperament and I was wondering if I should breed from him .I bought him from a well known trainer breeder and his father is an IGL champion and is in the gundog legends.So my question is do I breed from him or avoid diluting the pedegree and go get another pup who's parents are ftc and proven etc.I hope I've made some sort of sense .

Thanks in Advance Lee

If its just one litter it is probably not worth the expense of getting all the health tests done. The other disadvantage with a dog is that sometimes once they have been used for stud they will be looking for bitches all the time if they are not used regularly after that.

Unless you have a bitch who is not closely related to him you have also got to find a suitable bitch and hope the mating produces a pup you like.

It is a lot easier to look for another pup with similiar breeding, maybe from the breeder you got him from.

Whether you breed from him or buy a pup in, you cannot guarentee one will be the same.

Are you looking for a dog to field trial or a working dog, they are not always the same type.

Although I don't breed I have thought about it and I always ask myself, can I buy better than I can produce.... so far the answer has always been yes.

That is the best answer.

If only far more folk thought about it, esp owners of bitches, while a lot of poor bitches are breed from there is a few quite decent working dogs that are overlooked as there not FT and just good honest working dogs.,

For a working dog using a good dog u've seen work might make more sense than some random fashionable FTCH stud u know noting about

For the OP the biggest problem might be finding someone with a suitable bitch who shares ur views on ur dogs abilities

What about better the devil you know?

His first dog was from one he didn't know. He now knows the breeder of that dog. Even using his own dog for stud, a puppy will still take some of its characteristics from the dam, which will be an unknown.

Its also a balance between breeding and upbringing and he has already been successful in bringing up one dog to how he likes.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

His first dog was from one he didn't know. He now knows the breeder of that dog. Even using his own dog for stud, a puppy will still take some of its characteristics from the dam, which will be an unknown.

Its also a balance between breeding and upbringing and he has already been successful in bringing up one dog to how he likes.

I was responding to William's post, not the original one.

Although I don't breed I have thought about it and I always ask myself, can I buy better than I can produce.... so far the answer has always been yes.

What about better the devil you know?

Yes, as long as it's an exceptional devil.

I think you'd take a different view if you were running Labradors. Finding ones from a good bitch + health tests is extremely difficult.

I think you'd take a different view if you were running Labradors. Finding ones from a good bitch + health tests is extremely difficult.

Can't comment, not running labs, but if you have good stock you've been successful with I can fully appreciate you'd want to keep those lines going and agree you'll come to understand the traits of those lines and how to get the best from them. It does however put you in a different category from the OP looking for a mating for a 7 YO sound shooting dog.

It does however put you in a different category from the OP looking for a mating for a 7 YO sound shooting dog.

Probably not but I did recently encourage someone with a 9 year old dog to fully health test, based on ability, pedigree & it's that shade of yellow everyone seems to rave about.