Wind direction

Missit

Morning all.

First time to the forum as very much a beginner.

I'm off shooting latter to a field I've been watching for a few days.

I've read lots about decoying and wind direction etc but the only really safe place in this field means that the wind will be blowing straight into the face of the hide.

I cant seam to find any hints or advice as to the best pattern in this situation.

Any tips would be appreciation

Thanks in advance..

Thanks

Thought that may help. The hedge behind is quite low rather than high trees, so am hoping they will come from behind and drop in.

​Was going to use a magnet - should i put this beyond the decoys (have seen that normally you would put it to one side or close in infront of the hide before the decoys.

As said - decoys will need to be a lot further out to allow birds to land behind the pattern.

Magnet location (I have found) all depends on the incoming birds reactions to it, see how they react to it and move it accordingly, sometimes I have moved mine 2 or 3 times before the birds are happy.

Good luck- lets us know how you get on.

The pigeons could well come from any direction in light wind but will always turn into the wind to land, I've found pigeons don't like popping over a hedge to be faced by a whirly, (it was a high thick hawthorn mind),if they can see it from a distance it works better good luck and report back how it goes!

Funny that I found myself in the same situation today, feilds were too wet to drive around after the recent downpours ☹ so I had to opt for setting up in a tree line facing into a strong wind. Moved decoys further out twice - settling on about 40 metres out before the birds could drop in behind. Ended up with 10 pigeons, 1 magpie and one crow for 5 hours.... still better than sitting indoors 👍tbh I quite enjoyed the challenge and reading the incoming birds behaviour.

Hello again.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Not tremendous success but that was because as soon as i set up it came over black and heavy rain for several hours.

Left hide came back around 3pm till 7pm. Put decoys out about 40m. Chose a low part of hedge and yes some flew over the top but some just came from left and right along hedge and turned sharply into the wind. Some even came up the field with the wind but didnt attempt to land and flew off.

Ended up with 18.

Should have had more but hey - new to this!

What i did find was that several of the birds were not a clean kill as i was shooting from behind as they turned into the wind to land. Broke their wings but needed to chase after them down the field to dispatch.

Think i had the magnet in the wrong place (20m in front of hide) before the u shape decoy pattern. think i would have had a better draw if I put it to one side or beyond the decoys.

Going to have another go during the week.

Hello again.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Not tremendous success but that was because as soon as i set up it came over black and heavy rain for several hours.

Left hide came back around 3pm till 7pm. Put decoys out about 40m. Chose a low part of hedge and yes some flew over the top but some just came from left and right along hedge and turned sharply into the wind. Some even came up the field with the wind but didnt attempt to land and flew off.

Ended up with 18.

Should have had more but hey - new to this!

What i did find was that several of the birds were not a clean kill as i was shooting from behind as they turned into the wind to land. Broke their wings but needed to chase after them down the field to dispatch.

Think i had the magnet in the wrong place (20m in front of hide) before the u shape decoy pattern. think i would have had a better draw if I put it to one side or beyond the decoys.

Going to have another go during the week.

thats it :good: ......thats what it is all about.......

thats the difference between "looking" at pigeons and "watching" them..........

Edited by ditchman

As Motty says above...........

i have often set up with the wind in my face and back to a hedge............birds will fly with the wind but will land facing the wind...they will cross the wind and turn and land......when im shooting in that position birds will come from behind and quarter left or right into the wind to land......if something is not working right ...then alter the flapper/ position.........

my only other comment is about the placement of floaters/angels....in my case i dont place them too far away....as it usually means the birds will land behind the floaters.....floaters may look boring....but they do work..............

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just to add to this discussion; whilst out walking the dog around a linseed field this morning, I noticed a group of around 15 woodies feeding on the ground in roughly an upside down question mark shape. The straight bit of the pattern and the curve were at right angles to the wind, the curve was facing away from the wind and the birds were nearly all facing away from the wind. I was always under the impression the birds walked into the wind. Anybody else have their deeks facing away from the wind?

Hi, just to add to this discussion; whilst out walking the dog around a linseed field this morning, I noticed a group of around 15 woodies feeding on the ground in roughly an upside down question mark shape. The straight bit of the pattern and the curve were at right angles to the wind, the curve was facing away from the wind and the birds were nearly all facing away from the wind. I was always under the impression the birds walked into the wind. Anybody else have their deeks facing away from the wind?

Yeah it is strange what they do as apposed to how we decoy....

When watching before setting up ive seen the same thing, birds all over the shop facing every direction.

I think the patterns and direction we set decoys at are just an aerial prompt for wind/landing direction for approaching birds.

Yeah it is strange what they do as apposed to how we decoy....

When watching before setting up ive seen the same thing, birds all over the shop facing every direction.

I think the patterns and direction we set decoys at are just an aerial prompt for wind/landing direction for approaching birds.

All the experts state , when placing the decoys out , they need to face the wind , maybe so but when you see a group of pigeons feeding you will notice not everyone is facing the wind . I was led to believe the art of decoying is to try and imitate a number of pigeons enjoying whatever they are feeding on . anyhow , rather than do everything to the so called book , I often put a few partly sideways to the wind and the odd one with its back to the wind , and one advantage with using rubber decoys is , you don't have to worry about the wind blowing the feathers up.

As for shooting facing the wind .. I try and avoid it at all costs , I enjoy watching a pigeon in the distance responding to the decoy set up , and not sitting there for ages and then have one come from behind and its all over in a split second .

I have in the past , set up on the other side of the hedge and decoyed the field in front of the one the pigeons are feeding on just to have the wind on my back , this can only be done on suitable crops , such as low barley , wheat , sugar beet or anything where your decoys can stand out .

Sometimes these different ways will work and sometimes they don't , but how much more satisfying when they do .

That's brilliant. Just goes to show knowledge is king and we are always learning. Maybe that in a nutshell is why we love pigeon shooting; nothing is set in stone, rules can are are often broken and yet old methods still work. A bird with a brain the size of a pea is such a challenge, whether there is light wind, strong wind or a blistering hot sunny day with no breeze. I agree we try to replicate live bird patterns, thinking this is the answer to bringing in the mother load, and yet just a representation of their habits would seem to be sufficient in a lot of cases. Keep at it guys and as my late great uncle used to say "keep your powder dry"

Edited by getthegat