House training

kyska

Anyone out there who could help me?

I've a new dog, 8 weeks old, I've followed all of the advice online, using puppy pads but she just randomly pees wherever.

So are the pads a poor idea?

I know I'm asking a lot from such a young dog, I'm just trying to get advice on where to go from here.

I let her out on the back when she wakes and after feeds etc but she just waits and then toilets inside when she comes back in.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Patience is the main requirement.

Don't know what a puppy pad is. Don't like anything that encourages them to pee indoors.

You are doing all the right things.

Plenty of rewards and mild scolding at the scene of the crime.

You get there eventually.

I have just come through the problem of a nine month old dog who had lived at a boarding kennels all his life.

(Would only walk on concrete or grass. Anything else freaked him out when he heard his own feet).

Puddled anywhere he happened to be apart from his bed - Never in there.

Crapped in much the same way too. Spent hours out on the lawn waiting for him to puddle - Especially at bed time.

'Puddy' is the command word I use. Now it takes about a minute and we all go to bed.

We got there but it wasn't a lot of fun for either of us.

Bitches are usually easier than dogs - In my experience.

Keep up the good work.

I used to take mine out at regular intervals. I think I was quite lucky as she clocked onto it very fast and only peed in the house twice and never pooed in the house since we got her at 10 weeks.

I would always put her out ten minutes after feeds as you could tell she was about to burst

Keep putting out side .whenit does any thing .give a treat and make a fuss .keep doing it regula it will got used to doing it out side .

Trained mine mine in about 3week .with out trading pads .its like training a child keep putting it on the toilet it get to now what it

Has to do .

Don't forget 8 weeks is really young still, you just have to watch them like a hawk, when they wake up, eat, get excited call him? And go straight outside seems like forever but everyone goes through it.

Now what breed have you got pretty sure its a rule to post a pic of your new pup 😉

Don't forget 8 weeks is really young still, you just have to watch them like a hawk, when they wake up, eat, get excited call him? And go straight outside seems like forever but everyone goes through it.

Now what breed have you got pretty sure its a rule to post a pic of your new pup 😉

Oh I'm well aware of her age, I just needed some tips for how I go on, been a long time since a new pup was in the house!

I can't post from my mobile, she's a young lab, fox red Dad x very yellow mum, so I have a caramel lab bitch!

We are going through it now with our puppy springer. 90% of the time she is good but if you can't get the door open straight away she will pee close to it, but that's our fault not hers. I would say that out of all the dogs we have had she has taken the longest, we would let her out stand outside for 10 mins and nothing go back inside turn around and she had weed on the floor. Very frustrating.

I've never used puppy pads, agree with above it will confuse and they'll learn to wee on the pads etc. I got mine at 12 weeks so understandable older as breeder kept them for longer, but he'd only been in a kennel. First night in his cage great, he started crying at about 5am so carried him to the garden and he needed a wee. Every time he starts sniffing in the house i'd put him outside, it soon clicked, i always say 'go wee wee's' as we do with all our dogs. That was 3 weeks ago, he lives indoors and in a cage at night but since i got him hes only weed 3 times in the house and pooed once as he had a bad belly (eaten seaweed on the beach)

Hes now 15 weeks and has learnt to scratch the door with his paw to go out and if i say wee wees he'll always go for a wee. Its worked brilliantly.

Edited by Pigeonshooter22

Ok, catch up. Taking her out is working, she doesn't seem to know how to ask yet so I'm just in and out.

However, I appear to have a bright cookie, I ask her to wee and she sniffs and squats straight away then waits for a treat. I've just noticed she isn't weeing, just squatting.

Ok, catch up. Taking her out is working, she doesn't seem to know how to ask yet so I'm just in and out.

However, I appear to have a bright cookie, I ask her to wee and she sniffs and squats straight away then waits for a treat. I've just noticed she isn't weeing, just squatting.

:lol:

I tried the treats, mine is greedy she now goes to the door, we let her out and she runs out turns around straight back in and sits for a treat. :yes:

i can only echo what everyone else has said, you need to regularly go and sit outside for however long it takes in whatever weather you have and pile on the praise when the business is done, took about a fortnight to train our gsd from 8 weeks old but we got her when the weather was good and the back door has been open for months now so she can go out whenever she needs to

:lol:

I tried the treats, mine is greedy she now goes to the door, we let her out and she runs out turns around straight back in and sits for a treat. :yes:

I've changed strategy, I'm now waiting for her to squat and have to literally nearly lie on the floor to see if she's actually peeing, then it's 'wee wees' and treat.

i can only echo what everyone else has said, you need to regularly go and sit outside for however long it takes in whatever weather you have and pile on the praise when the business is done, took about a fortnight to train our gsd from 8 weeks old but we got her when the weather was good and the back door has been open for months now so she can go out whenever she needs to

Thanks, that's what I'm doing, every two hours is working, after she wakes and after food.

You'll get there, the most important thing with toilet training is positive reward and only scold the exact moment the mess in the house or it'll cause more problems than it'll solve, don't listen to the old boys brigade of rub their nose in it ect

Never would, thanks for the advice.

It does worry me slightly when I've caught in the act and just a stern, not loud, No! Causes her to sulk for ages, won't come near any of us, properly offended!

More help please, this is ridiculous now, I take her out every hour, she's been out most of the afternoon in the garden, praise when she does her stuff.

Inside, even with the door open she just does whatever, pee/poo on the floor, carpets, sofa, books, just stops and goes in front of me.

I take her straight out but I don't know what I'm gaining as she's already done what she needs to do?

She has her second vaccine next week so we can walk, but that doesn't help house training does it?

Some dogs take longer than others, my little one has taken more time than many previous dogs. She is now just about there, still the odd accident. You just need to keep at it. Scold her when see does it inside and praise when outside, but you must be on your toes I was taking my pup out every 15 - 20 min more if she went to the door.

I think I may just be there at last. I hope yours don't take as long, we've had our pups 5 weeks now. We did go back a bit as the wife told me to leave him walking around downstairs of a night as he started to whine, then the wife started to moan about peeing everywhere.

This wasn't her best idea.

I put him in the crate at night & he's as good as gold now but just need to sort out the odd whine.

We do need to keep an eye on him when he's near the back door as he doesn't knock or bark like my other 2 do but I'm sure that will come with time.