Waders and safety

loriusgarrulus

Waders are great for keeping you warm and dry in the water.

If you go over and they fill with water they could make it almost impossible to get out safely. By wearing a belt with them to trap air and stop them filling could save your life. Also addition of a life jacket can help too. Hope this is useful to some.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Waders are great for keeping you warm and dry in the water.

If you go over and they fill with water they could make it almost impossible to get out safely. By wearing a belt with them to trap air and stop them filling could save your life. Also addition of a life jacket can help too. Hope this is useful to some.

https://youtu.be/dKwObngww3g

I've watched a few videos on waders and some show that they are able to swim in fully immersed waders. I think the use of a life vest is more important. As air in the legs and boots will only want push your top half under. I have in the past in my chest waders been close to upending due to getting to the point of nearly floating. My neoprene are even worse for it.

Waders water safety is important.

Excellent advice, but as a follow on from this, can anyone tell me how often a collar type auto life jacket should be 'serviced' and where ? The one I am currently using must be around 8 years old and has never been touched with regards to the inflating unit. I have manually inflated the collar to test for leaks and that was all OK.

Excellent advice, but as a follow on from this, can anyone tell me how often a collar type auto life jacket should be 'serviced' and where ? The one I am currently using must be around 8 years old and has never been touched with regards to the inflating unit. I have manually inflated the collar to test for leaks and that was all OK.

what a load of rubbish, wear a belt, air trapped in legs, bolderdash. I have taken a swim many a times with my rubber oceans without a belt, lie on your back and take the crucifix position, paddle with your hands, don't raise arms as you will sink. The only thing that will drown you is PANIC. Google, Hugh Falkus jumps in river.

Depends whether it's auto or manual. The gas bottles have a date on them as do the bobbins, the auto unit contains a salt pack which dissolves in water. The salt can deteriorate over time and trigger the unit spontaneously, as one did in my cold damp car one night.

I always wear a wading jacket with built in auto/manual life jacket in the winter and a Parmaris auto/manual collar type in the summer.

Had too many close calls.

Whilst at Sparsholt I was taught how to use wellies (take em off whilst treading water and stick one under each arm), thigh boots and chesties (armchair sitting position) as life preserving aids.

We even had a race across the 12' 6" end in chesties. Armchair position, feet first, arms out to the side and paddle with your hands. It's surprising how quick you can go. A girl on the course tried to swim, filled her chest waders and down she went; had to be fished out by the lecturers.

what a load of rubbish, wear a belt, air trapped in legs, bolderdash. I have taken a swim many a times with my rubber oceans without a belt, lie on your back and take the crucifix position, paddle with your hands, don't raise arms as you will sink. The only thing that will drown you is PANIC. Google, Hugh Falkus jumps in river.

exactly this, how can waders filled with water pull you down, the water will weigh the same inside the wader as it does outside, it doesn't suddenly become heavier.

been there, got the t shirt, in both neoprene and breathable, followed Hugh's advice each time, go with the flow, do not try to swim,

some one more qualified than I should point to the difference between a life jacket and a buoyancy aid, if I remember correctly the life jacket will turn you over, face out of the water if unconscious

Edited by itchy trigger

Aye, Huge's vid is a laugh. But as you say, it contains good sound advice.

That said a life jacket is an essential component. Even if it fails to inflate; doing the Falkus drift provides the opportunity to inflate it manually. Staying cool is key to staying alive.

I'm not much of a big river wader as we don't have that type of big wide stream where I live and fish. My first foray onto the bigger burns was on the Atholl beat of the Tummel some years ago. My pal had crossed at a certain spot, said it was marginal but as I was taller i'd be fine. 3 or 4 steps in, up to my waist, the gravel gave way and I was a good six inches + deeper and being pulled down stream, I turned, thinking I was going for a swim, just in time to grab the thinnest twig of an over hanging branch.

Thin as it was the tension I was able to exert without breaking it was just enough to keep me stationary. Slowly but surely I was able to work my way up the twig, to a twig like branch and to something more solid, which got me back to the bank. Lucky to get away with that and a good lesson.

I'm much more careful since and locally limit my wading to mid thigh depth, which covers most of my potential fishing opportunities. If I get the chesters out these days I always wear a life jacket too.

Yes a great video and he was not a young man at the time he did that .loved all his fishing stuff .and have a couple of his books to.

I lived in Dalwhinnie for a few years

Loch Ericht is full of Ferix Trout

They are like big bad ugly Salmon

3 Men went out Trolling for them all wearing waders

That Loch is like being at sea when the wind blows

The RN Divers found them a week or so later stood up on the bottom

700 feet down

Don't ask why but fishermen still wear waders in boats

My Dad had the Grampian Hotel and I watched the Son being told his Dad had been found in the Public Bar.

I've never owned waders since.

Edited by mickyh

OCEANS! Your beat not heard of Simms?

Blackpowder