Electric source to a shed

leeds chimp

In the process of building a man cave... Will need electric to it...

Looking for advice

Will be running lights, fridge, tv, android box, Xbox DVD player and a small heater if needed

Would I be able to do an extension lead from a plug inside.. Drill thru the wall and take to the shed or am I looking at a new lead from the fuse box? And armour cable etc and a very rough cost

My shed has a freezer ,lights n sockets from a outdoor extension lead with a built in trip£20.I ran it through plastic conduit £25 and a hole in the wall sealed with mastic so far 7 years never tripped it.

The heater will be your biggest draw on the power{ and so you may be better hard wiring to the fuse box ,}so check the wattage of the heater against the overload on any extension lead you plan to use.If you go down the quick extension lead route a parafin or gas heater may be a cheaper option we have 1 of those camping gas fires about 20 quid and gas is 4 canisters for a fiver .

The walls of most shed,s are recessed so you could line them with insulation panels from any diy chain ,nice and toasty when heated atb

Edited by clakk

IIRC it depends on distance... your current trip switches wont be effective over a certain distance. Im sure an electrician will be along shortly to confirm this.

We had to have another trip installed on our main fuse board and another trip box inside our cabin, along with aroumred cable from house to cabin.

If you are going to stay there for a bit then if it was me I would run a decent supply cable into a local distribution box, probably around 6mm cable (sparkies correct this if it is wrong) if the run is up to 30m. This should give you a capacity of up to 35amps so you will be well inside this with a 6amp lighting circuit, a 13amp general ring main for your electronics and then a 16 amp ring main for a 3kw heater or a decent lump of a welder (not both at same time)

i have a under ground cable to the garage which works a double socket for the mincer and a spare , then the tumble drier and six foot freezer to two double sockets for my music center , telly and heater and a spare , then threw the wall to the shed to two double sockets which run two freezers and a option for the lawn mower , and ive never had a problem with it , unlike the side garage when the council got involved with planning i had to have a light switch at each end and a pair of double sockets at each end and a circuit board installed

How far from your house is this man cave? If it's close then a decent extension cable like used for caravans and camping will do if not overloaded. The kit should be low power 350w for good size LCD TV 6w for a led bulb in a light, android box will be low wattage only the heater could be potential problem but a oil radiator or 1kw delonghi etc would be ok with all your insulation.

The likes of wired armoured and cleats consumer units or sy cable will only be approx half the cost the labour getting a sparky to wire it all in will double it. Unless you have one as a mate.

Edited by figgy

IIRC it depends on distance... your current trip switches wont be effective over a certain distance. Im sure an electrician will be along shortly to confirm this.

We had to have another trip installed on our main fuse board and another trip box inside our cabin, along with aroumred cable from house to cabin.

what wap the very rough cost of that please?

How far from your house is this man cave? If it's close then a decent extension cable like used for caravans and camping will do if not overloaded. The kit should be low power 350w for good size LCD TV 6w for a led bulb in a light, android box will be low wattage only the heater could be potential problem but a oil radiator or 1kw delonghi etc would be ok with all your insulation.

The likes of wired armoured and cleats consumer units or sy cable will only be approx half the cost the labour getting a sparky to wire it all in will double it. Unless you have one as a mate.

from the front of the house where the current fuse box its

24ft and 20 ft across to shed... From the back of the house its about 15-20 foot and thats it

You should run a seperate supply from consumer unit with suitable RCD protection.

What does that mean in English labour terms? 😊😊

He means get a sparkie to wire a feed into your "fuse"box <the trip box >with a suitable power rating for your planned use and a bit xtra for the distance involved as the longer the cable the more resistance to overcome in the wiring .The RCD is the trip switch and they have different power ratings dependant on what your plugging in ie your heater will take more than a light and if you want heater ,light and xbox+tv and maybe beer fridge a sparkie will add the ampage up and wire a suitable thickness of cable and trip <RCD>.

Safety first with electric

He means get a sparkie to wire a feed into your "fuse"box <the trip box >with a suitable power rating for your planned use and a bit xtra for the distance involved as the longer the cable the more resistance to overcome in the wiring .The RCD is the trip switch and they have different power ratings dependant on what your plugging in ie your heater will take more than a light and if you want heater ,light and xbox+tv and maybe beer fridge a sparkie will add the ampage up and wire a suitable thickness of cable and trip <RCD>.

Safety first with electric

That's pretty much it, what are you planning on doing with the cable? bury it or surface mount on a fence or similar? I'd go with armoured cable personally with separate fuse box in the man cave and then have individual feeds off this (same as you do indoors). My reasoning being that once you've got the supply there you'll probably find that you want to add things.

Getting my new workshop done next week by an electrician.

Approx 30 metre run of armoured cable in conduit, 600mm underground, new high integrity consumer unit (relocated into porch).

About £1000.

***!

A bag of sand! Did you just go with the first bloke who turned up? Does he drive a transporter? Never trust someone with a VW, clearly charge to much...

I got a 3 switch trip / fuse box for peanuts from screwfix along with armoured cable again not a lot of money about £30 I think then after I done all the donkey work by mounting the consumer unit in shed cutting a strip across concrete path to bury cable drilled hole into house ran the cable and clipped it all in place ready for an electrician to do the final connections to the supply along with a trip of the suitable size in the consumer unit in the house he charged me around £40 . total of about £90 ish

then you know its all ok

Also add a powerline wifi extender and then you will have internet and SKY Q with a mini box :)

Was going to run an Ethernet cable with it to the android box... Or just look at a dongle on pt as the cave wont be far at all from the house

Getting my new workshop done next week by an electrician.

Approx 30 metre run of armoured cable in conduit, 600mm underground, new high integrity consumer unit (relocated into porch).

About £1000.

Ouch... Had two quotes to do it "properly " with new fuse bits and armour cable and came back £175 and £225

Probably bury the cable most of the way

When we moved here there was power to the back garage it came out a air vent from the house went into a cable and was buried to the garage where it comes up the side and goes into the garage it worked fine for years while i had jack russells , Then the first lab i got it took a fancy to the cable out side the house and started chewing that , Soon sorted that out but thats the type of thing you never think of