Identification Please

Jeff999x

I would say NO. that isn't a blackthorn bush, sloes generally have a dusty blueish hue to them, they do grow in small bunches of two or three but not always. The blackthorn bush has evil thorns along the branches, you'll know it when you find one ;)

These look a bit like a variety of cherry plum..... but to be on the safe side, I wouldn't be making sloe gin from these.

Bullace are a small green plum, like a small gage. Nothing like what is shown in the picture. I don't know the name but my grandfather told me many moons ago they were not good for you. I have three trees of bullace, anyone wanting a bag full around M42/A42 junction to add to some vodka/dark brown sugar, then pm me as there are still a few on the tree.

This conversation made me look up bullace on wiki and there are a number of varieties and it looks like I have the Shepherd Bullace, mainly found in the south eastern counties

. I am in Leicestershire but my trees originated from an allotment garden in Twickenham, so very likely these are the ones. Greenish yellow with very light reddish spots.

Hard and quite 'tart' to taste until ripe. The way we decipher ripe is to shake the tree and the ones which fall are like honey. Make superb jam, crumbles with some apples and as said with addition of vodka or gin.

I do have some dark blue large damsons which I assumed where just that but now think they might be the blue variety. They are growing wild where an old hedgerow ran prior to me planting the wood. None are anything like the photo.

Must say they look like Black Bullace to me, Bullace are without thorns, Sloe with thorns (blackthorn).

Squeeze one between you fingers, deadly nightshade have small pips in its pulp, whereas Bullace and Sloes have a single stone, try biting into one, they should taste very astringent.