Forge time

la bala

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, la bala said:

Hey E.w,  Have had other stuff going on, I havnt given up on the billet. I have actually found somewhere I can buy proper coke breeze, the guy told me its imported from Poland, what a difference it is to work with.

Well yes that’s a bonus to have  some smithy breeze, it’s getting difficult to obtain now we used to buy it in loose 10 tonne loads and it was already washed that also unheard of nowadays, remember that a good flux is very important just makes things easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my first attempt at etching didnt go to well, are well not to worry :lol:.  Put a silver thrupenny bit in the handle, dont see to many of them now days. The yellow mark in blade, a reflection off something. Tell you what them Lansky systems are good, hope he dont lose a finger when opening on xmas day.

thumbnail_IMG_0460 knife.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0466 knife 3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0464 knife 1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Typically Nordic simplicity.  I have tried that overhand double stitch system and can never get it right.  Super little knife, shame to get blood on it really.

thank you, I love it, keeps a keen edge after a quick go on a steel, a dab of Autosol works wonders, notice I don't use it on the brass

After speaking to some of the knowledgeable gents on here, I have sourced some good flux. Hopefully over the next few days, I can get back into my attempts at fire welding. I have been given some good pointers by you guys so hope I can do better than the last time:lol:. I have a bit of a chest infection at the moment but am itching to get going.. Thanks again for the help and information.

thumbnail_IMG_0491 flux.jpg

Ok got to sort this fire welding a billet out. Today I made a little stack, total of 4 :lol: 25mm x 5mm x 75mm, you may laugh but all good things come in small parcels.  Lets get on, welded a handle on my stack and then lit the forge. Did that so and so forge want to light, did it heck, over an hour it took me, big doors open big doors shut, side door open side door shut, I finished up with both doors shut, did my little bit of lung infection the power of good i am sure:lol::lol:. Ok in the fire, out  for a wire brush and some of this nice new flux, back in for first heat. I gave it 3 heats like this, watching the material for that fluid look, each time I was ready to take it out i turned the forge fan off just to let it soak for a couple of seconds. I felt quite confident the way things were going so after 3 heats I nicked it in the middle, folded it and gave it another 3 heats. Well the proof of the pudding is to put it in a hacksaw :lol:.   Well I am pleased how today went, but how many times have i got to do this before i dare try it on a 25 quids worth of knife steel. :lol:.

thumbnail_IMG_0492 stack.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0494 billet.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0495 billet 1.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0496 billet 2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0499 billet 7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0497 billet 6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0500 billet 3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0501 billet 4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0503 billet 5.jpg