Forge time

la bala

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right ...im going to put my tupence in...........

just stick 2 pieces of mild steel in your tongs...dont weld em together...put into a clean fire...and bring up to temp slowly...turning...they need to come out just before they start to sparkle...then a sharp tap...and you will feel it go together under the hammer.....

putting several billets together...is a problem...by the time you are at welding temperature in the middle ...you will be melting on the out side....if you are doing a multi layer billet...do it one at a time...and "build up intyo a billet" ready for shaping........

i cant stress enough...doing 2 bits at a time...and feel and listen to what it sounds like when it goes together....you will know straightaway when you have got it right....

PS when welding i have always chucked flux on it as it comes out of the fire......you have to be quick as the temp window is so small.............

Ok

NOW you're running before you can walk

Throws hat on floor and shouts 🎩

Listen lad you're like a bull at a gate

get a piece of mild steel hot fold it in half with a slight gap weld your handle to it

PRACTICE your fire welding

Clean fire

Hot white and the surface should be just liquid gently hitting from the centre out reheat continue if the molten metal doesn't spray across the forge its to COLD if it falls in half you got it to HOT

When you can do it a couple of times move on to your expensive carbon steel

This is starting to look like I'm going to have to drive up to heaven knows where and show you

Anyway shower large scotch deep breaths and have another go tomorrow

Keep at it

All the best

Of

Ok

NOW you're running before you can walk

Throws hat on floor and shouts

Listen lad you're like a bull at a gate

get a piece of mild steel hot fold it in half with a slight gap weld your handle to it

PRACTICE your fire welding

Clean fire

Hot white and the surface should be just liquid gently hitting from the centre out reheat continue if the molten metal doesn't spray across the forge its to COLD if it falls in half you got it to HOT

When you can do it a couple of times move on to your expensive carbon steel

This is starting to look like I'm going to have to drive up to heaven knows where and show you

Anyway shower large scotch deep breaths and have another go tomorrow

Keep at it

All the best

Of

at last some sanity......................(he's trying to go to the moon before he has gone to Ipswich.. :lol::lol: )

you keep at him... :good: cause if i do it will be like the blind leading to blind... :lol:

alcohol....does help

You boys are bang about the heat, i just havnt got confidence with this shiny coal stuff, i need some coke breeze which i have always used. Though it doesnt look like it, i have in the past forged stuff for craft fairs, companion sets, twisty candlsticks and the like, I understand the colours cherry, yellow, white, fluid white. Will try your little exercise Old farrier, maybe a piece of 8 or 10mm. You people who can do it must be pulling your hair out. :lol::lol:

what about doing the crucial weld with a couple of bags of charcoal from the garage....then go back to coke for shaping..................

There is a traditional forge out Dereham way Simon, will give them a bell, i bet they still use breeze.

Edited by la bala

You boys are bang about the heat, i just havnt got confidence with this shiny coal stuff, i need some coke breeze which i have always used. Though it doesnt look like it, i have in the past forged stuff for craft fairs, companion sets, twisty candlsticks and the like, I understand the colours cherry, yellow, white, fluid white. Will try your little exercise Old farrier, maybe a piece of 8 or 10mm. You people who can do it must be pulling your hair out. :lol::lol:

I'd just use a old horse shoe but anything really

Please remember that fire welding is easier with the old iron and lower carbon steel of yesteryear and the book and experienced make it look a doddle

Anyway gain your confidence with the mild steel looking forward to seeing your progress

There is a traditional forge out Dereham way Simon, will give them a bell, i bet they still use breeze.

I'd bin the borax get yourself some proper welding flux I stopped useing borax 30 years ago, go on YouTube I'm sure there's some good videos that would be of help as I think at this stage you need to visually see someone perform the art of fire welding to grasp the concept.

Edited by E.w.

ditchman, are you any good with a welder? I've got a very fragile collector box needs some tlc, i'll come and cut your hedge if you patch it up

cant do thin welding anymore...ive told the gas supplier to get stuffed...i have found another supplier but will be a while before i set another contract up....

can't help with purple heart but I've got a bit of zebrano left, or some Brazilian mahogany, i'm at a loss for exotic wood since north heigham saw mill shut down

there is a bloke who lives and works in Reedham that stocks "exotic" bits of wood...........