Forge time

la bala

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 2 for 1 deal and no hammers allowed!

quite right he is a bit rough sometimes.......................BALA will tell us off for hyjacking his thread.............he's proberly throwing knives at his mrs....to earn some money to buy a new front diff... :lol::lol:

i dont use "predicktive " text......i have my brain... :oops:

Edited by ditchman

Got a bit more grinding done, now waiting for some fine grit belts for final push. brass for hilt guard should be here tommorrow, have made the template so ready to crack on. Have been to see me old stick maker mate today and told him i am making him a knife, well why not he has given me enough sticks :lol: . He has a shelf full of handle material, antler, buffalo horn, bog oak, bog yew. I quite fancy the blackness of the bog oak, but at the end of the day, its his knife so its his choice. I almost forgot to say, I will attach the hilt guard with silver solder.

post-52836-0-85783100-1506110871_thumb.jpg

Edited by la bala

I've used bog oak a few times and found it not easy. Very often when working to shape you think you have a nice finish and a hidden crack opens up but I suppose there is certain character in that. In addition the dust from sanding etc is not what you need to breath in. If you have not used it before then wear some protection. It would look good on that knife for sure. I may still have some bits around in the workshop that you are welcome to if I can find them. This was recovered from a field east of Doncaster, brought up by the plough. The owner of the land told me when he first ploughed that field he fetched up a huge amount which he piled up and burnt. Apparently it to best part of a week to burn out. The plough is still bringing it up.

Edited by Walker570

I've used bog oak a few times and found it not easy. Very often when working to shape you think you have a nice finish and a hidden crack opens up but I suppose there is certain character in that. In addition the dust from sanding etc is not what you need to breath in. If you have not used it before then wear some protection. It would look good on that knife for sure. I may still have some bits around in the workshop that you are welcome to if I can find them. This was recovered from a field east of Doncaster, brought up by the plough. The owner of the land told me when he first ploughed that field he fetched up a huge amount which he piled up and burnt. Apparently it to best part of a week to burn out. The plough is still bringing it up.

No worries there bud, my old stickmaker mate has worked with bog oak for around 40 years, i have a pheasant head on a stick you can see your face in it. :good:

Yes, it does polish up well just that little bit longer needed to get it there. I did one knife handle which had some cracks which could not be avoided but not structural. I cleaned the insides of the cracks with nail varnish remover as bog oak has an oily surface. I then mixed up some J&B Weld and mixed in some brass powder from beneath my grinder. Filled the cracks with this and then after it set sanded it down. The brass then shone through the J&B creating quite a pleasant effect. I have used brass tube for handle pins since and then filled the tubes with this mix ...different.

Yes, it does polish up well just that little bit longer needed to get it there. I did one knife handle which had some cracks which could not be avoided but not structural. I cleaned the insides of the cracks with nail varnish remover as bog oak has an oily surface. I then mixed up some J&B Weld and mixed in some brass powder from beneath my grinder. Filled the cracks with this and then after it set sanded it down. The brass then shone through the J&B creating quite a pleasant effect. I have used brass tube for handle pins since and then filled the tubes with this mix ...different.

Yes great idea Walker, I have seen me old mate use sander dust to great effect. You stick boys do some brilliant work.