Forge time

la bala

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i doubt it....................dont old yer breath..........

I am really nipping it up now i am getting down to a cutting edge, I have a container with wet rag and water dripping everywhere, I will soon need me wellies on :lol: . The trouble is the thinner you get the more likely you are to get the dreaded blue colour appearing, I dont really want a blue and silver knife. I have just ordered a wetstone block for final edge work.

Edited by la bala

Looking really nice. Now you need to sit down and think, leather. A good knife like that deserves a nice sheath, all blocked out and engraved.

Ditch ...... a bit of advice. Do not go down that route, knife making is all time consuming, an addiction :no::unhappy: , hence the 30 or 40 in the cabinet alongside me :sad1: . You start to see a knife in every bit of scrap metal you see lying around .... :yes::yes::good:

Looking really nice. Now you need to sit down and think, leather. A good knife like that deserves a nice sheath, all blocked out and engraved.

Ditch ...... a bit of advice. Do not go down that route, knife making is all time consuming, an addiction :no::unhappy: , hence the 30 or 40 in the cabinet alongside me :sad1: . You start to see a knife in every bit of scrap metal you see lying around .... :yes::yes::good:

sounds worse than crac cocain.... :lol: on your advice i will steer well clear.............there is no way i could match the quality and artisic detail that boys on here do and you 2....

I need to stop coming on here, i have too many projects on the go and dont need any more.

But how did you get the metal nice and shiny? Is it just a fine belt on the snder or was it polished?

i would imagine he used the finest belt on the sander......then very very fine wet and dry......then a buff up with polishing medium on a standard polishing mop from Machinemart...(fits to you bench grinder....i use mine all the time)

Go on Bala tell us...........................

Edited by ditchman

I need to stop coming on here, i have too many projects on the go and dont need any more.

But how did you get the metal nice and shiny? Is it just a fine belt on the snder or was it polished?

Fine belt and mop polish, will give it final polish when handle is fitted.

I some times use wet and dry on me chisels, on a nice flat block of something it really brings all the faces up a treat, 600 grit is plenty good enough if you're going over it with a polishing mop, I have an old kukri I tarted up like that.

nice work la bala

Thanks for the tip bud.

HEH! you've not been snooping in my workshop have you. I almost pray for a wet day so I can put everything back where it should be :-)

I have seen some unbelievable mirror finishes put on knife blades which must take hours to achieve.

as an aside, anyone within reasonable travel distance who needs a piece of rail to make a small anvil, I have just rescued about 10ft of the stuff from going to the scrap. Only want about 18 inches myself. Free on collection M42/A42/A444 junction 10 mins.

I looked back when i came out the workshop today, I thought do i really work in that tip. Why cant i have a tidy man cave like other people :lol::lol:

Edited by Walker570

Walker you are a lucky chap to come across that piece of rail, it will make a sound anvil. If the rail has been in use it will already be polished. Since I built the new forge I often wish i had never sold my anvil, swage blocks and hammers, but there the forge will be going to its new home soon. Maybe I will get to sort this mess out.

post-52836-0-22942600-1506887404_thumb.jpg