Forge time

la bala

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbon steel hasnt come yet, so have been thinking, I have made the odd knife here and there but have never tried my hand at pattern welding. Today i am building a stack of 2 types of cleaned and polished metal. I hope to forge a test billet which i will then draw out to see results. It wont be forged today as have only just ordered Borax and etching acid. I sold all my gear some years ago because the body wasnt up to a lot of hammering now look what turned up in a parcel this morning. :lol::lol: . I think i am a gluton for punishment.

post-52836-0-23860700-1507120912_thumb.jpg

Carbon steel hasnt come yet, so have been thinking, I have made the odd knife here and there but have never tried my hand at pattern welding. Today i am building a stack of 2 types of cleaned and polished metal. I hope to forge a test billet which i will then draw out to see results. It wont be forged today as have only just ordered Borax and etching acid. I sold all my gear some years ago because the body wasnt up to a lot of hammering now look what turned up in a parcel this morning. :lol::lol: . I think i am a gluton for punishment.

there are going to be "tears at bedtime"...mr Bala...... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nice looking hammer although I'm a confirmed boot sale hammer buyer amazing what you can find for a few £

Best of luck with your project

Rubber hammer is good for bad elbows and wrists although not much cop on hot metal

All the best

Of

Thats the good thing about boot sales, some people dont realise the value in what they are selling.

Got me stack ready for forging into a billet, it looks a bit small but it is only an experiment into this pattern welding mallarky :lol: . The carbon steel was delivered this afternoon, this got me thinking, the few knives i have made, have always came from scrap so cost nothing, now i am paying good money for new stock will it all go mammories up :lol: . Anyway still waiting for borax and etching acid. Might get a look at the new handle on the knife this post was about, i do tend to wander. :lol:

post-52836-0-82547900-1507134229_thumb.jpg

Bang on E.w

I must say your engineering skill are first class, l still make all kinds of different tongs and tools for jobs in the forge, now that the days are shorter I'll start making a few shoe turning hammers if I can convince the striker that he'll get bigger mussels by helping me.

If you keep going on about diffs, you can have it, i will shove right up there for you. :lol::lol::lol:

RIGHT........................

you want to know why i am giving you stick on yer bloody ****** diff...eh ??

ever since you have been carping bitchin and moanin about yer damn diff........i have been listening to the various noises in my landy....."oohhh whats that noise ? now....its sounds just like what Bala has been on about"........

out come........new U/J's............

ooohhhh whats that noise i can still hear..........

outcome new front wheel bearings........

oooohhhh whats that noise i can hear......

new down pipe and retaining bracket and bolts

oooohhhh whats that noise i can hear

outcome new exhaust hanger

and this has been going on for months all because you put the worm in my head....

THERE AINT NOTHING WRONG WITH MY LANDY ...THERE NEVER HAS BEEN...THE NOISE WAS NATURAL....THE ENGINE CHANGES ITS NOTE WHEN THE WASTEGATE OPENS.............

you have cost me bloody £thousands of pounds in pointless new parts...............

so stuff yer yer damn diff.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Got me stack ready for forging into a billet, it looks a bit small but it is only an experiment into this pattern welding mallarky :lol: . The carbon steel was delivered this afternoon, this got me thinking, the few knives i have made, have always came from scrap so cost nothing, now i am paying good money for new stock will it all go mammories up :lol: . Anyway still waiting for borax and etching acid. Might get a look at the new handle on the knife this post was about, i do tend to wander. :lol:

Rather than use borax if you can find a horseshoe supplier they have welding flux that works far better than borax, best of luck with your project I'll be watching with interest.

RIGHT........................

you want to know why i am giving you stick on yer bloody ****** diff...eh ??

ever since you have been carping bitchin and moanin about yer damn diff........i have been listening to the various noises in my landy....."oohhh whats that noise ? now....its sounds just like what Bala has been on about"........

out come........new U/J's............

ooohhhh whats that noise i can still hear..........

outcome new front wheel bearings........

oooohhhh whats that noise i can hear......

new down pipe and retaining bracket and bolts

oooohhhh whats that noise i can hear

outcome new exhaust hanger

and this has been going on for months all because you put the worm in my head....

THERE AINT NOTHING WRONG WITH MY LANDY ...THERE NEVER HAS BEEN...THE NOISE WAS NATURAL....THE ENGINE CHANGES ITS NOTE WHEN THE WASTEGATE OPENS.............

you have cost me bloody £thousands of pounds in pointless new parts...............

so stuff yer yer damn diff.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I just turn me hearing aids down

Rather than use borax if you can find a horseshoe supplier they have welding flux that works far better than borax, best of luck with your project I'll be watching with interest.

Have looked at some farriers web sites Ew, they almost want to know what colour bog roll you use :lol: ie, Are you a business, are you a registered farrier, think i could buy semtex easier :lol:

Have looked at some farriers web sites Ew, they almost want to know what colour bog roll you use :lol: ie, Are you a business, are you a registered farrier, think i could buy semtex easier :lol:

Yes I'm in business, and am a working farrier, if it's any help you can go and pick it up In my name, I could pm you my registered details.

Yes I'm in business, and am a working farrier, if it's any help you can go and pick it up In my name, I could pm you my registered details.

Thanks for that Ew, I will have to give the borax a try now i have ordered it, I bought it by its chemical name, its not substitute. Def keep your offer in mind, thanks bud.

you are going to forge weld it....square it up....heat it up and twist with that tool you made....do this several times..before you start to shape it....and the acid will bring out the swirls....moreso if you are using 2 or 3 different types of steel..............

am i correct... :hmm:

you are going to forge weld it....square it up....heat it up and twist with that tool you made....do this several times..before you start to shape it....and the acid will bring out the swirls....moreso if you are using 2 or 3 different types of steel..............

am i correct... :hmm:

Do you think it will work ditchman?

Thanks for that Ew, I will have to give the borax a try now i have ordered it, I bought it by its chemical name, its not substitute. Def keep your offer in mind, thanks bud.

You are welcome, always remember that patience is a virtue whilst creating pattern steel.

I must say your engineering skill are first class, l still make all kinds of different tongs and tools for jobs in the forge, now that the days are shorter I'll start making a few shoe turning hammers if I can convince the striker that he'll get bigger mussels by helping me.

I call it team skill building 😂

As there is several of you guys on here that definitely know what they are talking about, may i ask your help. If i decide on a 5 layer stack of which 3 will be carbon steel, what can i use for the other 2 for the best colour contrast. Please remember i would like a good edge. I have a feeling i am getting out of my depth :lol::lol:

post-52836-0-96482700-1507147162_thumb.jpg

Do you think it will work ditchman?

as long as you dont burn it..... :good: just my personell opinion...dont fold stretch and twist it too many times...and try to keep a pic in your head as to what you have done...imagine you are working with hot sugar laced with colour ...making a stick of rock...do it toooo many times and it will taste alright but all the pattern will fuse and meld together...and dissapear.. :hmm:

ive done this sort of thing several times...and only twice has it ever come out nice....the blades i have binned...well thats another story......my only advice is..

keep it simple and you will have a sound blade......................when you see some of the pattern welded blades about....some of them are stunning...that comes with loads and loads of practice..............they may look nice...but are they functionally sound....to have both is a serious skill...something i aint got....

really looking forward to this.....keep it really simple and you will have a good blade at the end of it...which is better than a complecated pattern and carp blade which you will throw away in disgust .. :good::lol:

Edited by ditchman