Forge time

la bala

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what a diabolical failure on my behalf, if this is a preview of my forge welding skills i may as well blow the whistle now. Oh before we start, i received a parcel of borax this morning, I had ordered some after all, I am sure i am losing me marbles :lol::lol: . The afternoon didnt start well, forge didnt want to light, when it did the heart was to close to the tue iron. I dont know what fuel you lads use, i have always used sunbright singles coke breeze, i havnt been able to get any, but a local supplier sold me a bag of what i can only describe as tiny pieces of coal. The guy told me this is what he supplies to a couple of forges in the area. Well i dont like this stuff at all, with the blower on it seems to be blowing liquid clinker all over the place. Lets get on, the small experimental stack was one 25x3mm mild steel strip, one 25x1mm strip of industrial bandsaw blade, one mild steel, one bandsaw, one mild steel. 5 pieces in total. Ok in the fire, out, good wire brush then flux, back in fire to yellow heat, out of fire another wire brush followed by light strikes to set weld. Not happy with look of it doesnt appear to to be welding. Another heat and flux and carry on with heavier strikes. Another 2-3 heats no improvement and i can actually see it is just not having it. I have failed big time boys on my very first attempt at fire welding :lol::lol: Well i did say what ever the outcome i would tell :unhappy: I did cut a couple of cross section to show you.

post-52836-0-21338000-1507398934_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-70761000-1507398959_thumb.jpg

Did you get flux in between each of the pieces before you tacked them together 🙄

You can move the hot spot of the fire by raking out the bed and building a fire suited to the job in hand🙃

Also find clinker not very good and you don't want new coal on the fire a pile of part burned is better

1.1/2 teaspoons of fine dry sand sprinkled on the fire will take your clinker to the bottom and give you a clean fire

Obviously you have to utter the correct incantations whilst sprinkleing

Anyway good effort

If at first you don't succeed............

give up and go to the pub 🤗

All the best

Of

Have just looked out one of my old books: "The Blacksmith's Craft", published by CoSIRA (formerly the Rural Industries Bureau), and a web search reveals that you can download a PDF version here: http://azblacksmiths.org/Blacksmiths%20Craft.pdf The section on fire welding start on p20.

There will probably be some blacksmithing texts on this website, which has enormous numbers of downloadable copyright-expired books:

https://archive.org/

When you next make a billet run a bead of weld every inch that will stop your billet spreading whilst you fire weld it, strike the flat of the billet first then work the edges were flux is relevant. Your fuel for the fire is I think called anthracite beans which is fine, when fire welding you will reach the correct heat do not remove the billet from the fire shut of the air to allow the fire to consume the oxygen allowing the materials to soak a few seconds before removing from the fire then work, wire brush vigorously and re flux are at a cherry red heat only. Best of luck.

Have just looked out one of my old books: "The Blacksmith's Craft", published by CoSIRA (formerly the Rural Industries Bureau), and a web search reveals that you can download a PDF version here: http://azblacksmiths.org/Blacksmiths%20Craft.pdf The section on fire welding start on p20.

There will probably be some blacksmithing texts on this website, which has enormous numbers of downloadable copyright-expired books:

https://archive.org/

Thanks for that McSpredder, will have a read.

When you next make a billet run a bead of weld every inch that will stop your billet spreading whilst you fire weld it, strike the flat of the billet first then work the edges were flux is relevant. Your fuel for the fire is I think called anthracite beans which is fine, when fire welding you will reach the correct heat do not remove the billet from the fire shut of the air to allow the fire to consume the oxygen allowing the materials to soak a few seconds before removing from the fire then work, wire brush vigorously and re flux are at a cherry red heat only. Best of luck.

Thanks E.w,. I did wonder about welding the side of the billet. I suppose as i cant get coke breeze i will have to get used to anthracite. I think with it spitting liquid clinker i was pulling the billet out before white heat, never mind a lesson learned, need some more practice. :lol:

E.w In an earlier post you mentioned gaps in the side of the billet, The two strips of bandsaw blade i used had the teeth left on which i hoped would pattern, these obviously left gaps in the side of the billet, maybe this and not enough heat could have been my downfall today.

post-52836-0-91906000-1507409102_thumb.jpg

E.w In an earlier post you mentioned gaps in the side of the billet, The two strips of bandsaw blade i used had the teeth left on which i hoped would pattern, these obviously left gaps in the side of the billet, maybe this and not enough heat could have been my downfall today.

Yes that's a problem you don't need, then billet must be squared up at all times.

After yesterdays embarassment i needed something to do that wouldnt be to taxing :lol: . I need a lid, so a disc of 3mm mild steel, a length of 25mmx2mm by three and one seventh times the diameter of the disc. I tack my piece of strip to this piece of pipe and tap it around said pipe. At least i got my three and one seventh bit right. Zip that up, place disc on top and zip that up. Piece of exhaust bracket just right for handle. My quench tank now has a lid, not that i will be needing quench tank until i master this forge welding

post-52836-0-72656400-1507477048_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-97154000-1507477084_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-42037200-1507477110_thumb.jpg

i love all this making stuff lark......thats what we had to do back in the "old africa days"...

Whale oil
So much more fun the smell everything slippery afterwards

Although the quench tanks not to my taste far prefer horizontal and facing north south it's a very good effort

whale oil...............you didnt tell me you've been carrying on with fat sarah ?