Forge time

la bala

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, thats it then you bl@@?y lot, Tommorrow the vertical quench tank will turn into a horizontal one, I may just see if i can find an old compass to mount on it, dont want the bl@@dy North South wrong do we :lol::lol::lol:

Another little pointer whilst fire welding is get some flat bar heat it up and lay on the anvil to heat the anvil up as when you're welding a cold anvil will draw heat from you billet making welding difficult.

Another little pointer whilst fire welding is get some flat bar heat it up and lay on the anvil to heat the anvil up as when you're welding a cold anvil will draw heat from you billet making welding difficult.

Good tip although

I prefer to heat the beck as I find the first few blows with the round face of the hammer have a swage effect just my preference

Oops sorry he's got a new hammer (flat face ) and no beck on the rsj anvil 🙃☹️😞

Anyway crack on

Point. Of interest quench tanks magnetic so probably not a good idea to fix your compass to it 👍🤣

And you lot that thought shot making was a dark art 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

By turning and folding to entwine the different metals.

and then..wiping it with acid which eats into the "interfaces" where there is a colour change due to the composition of the metal at the folds/interfaces.............when continually "draw metal"...(pull it out ...stretch it the same way)...you loose the interfaces as the molercules start to line up the same way....high quality blades are done this way...a long process...wich can involve many many drawings....without burning the metal.....

thats why i prefer to sandwich 3 pieces together...if i make a mistake on the outside ..the central part of the blade is still sound and it wont snap..........i will never have the skill to make a whole blade from folding and twisting and forging back together.........that takes years of practice...to produce a blade that is sound and stunning to look at..........

Bala will get there cause he has a good eye and mechanical skill........it is going to be fun to watch....and it will give other people the confidence to try....... :good:

Go and cut your hedge! :lol::lol:

this evening im totally stuffed............right down at the bottom of the garden is a large conifer and theb hedge goes under it.....and was looking sick..........reason.........it was full up with conifer needles....so all day i have been pressure washing the carp out of the hege onto the footpath...............

15 bloody barrow loads of needles...bloody hellfire.............

this evening im totally stuffed............right down at the bottom of the garden is a large conifer and theb hedge goes under it.....and was looking sick..........reason.........it was full up with conifer needles....so all day i have been pressure washing the carp out of the hege onto the footpath...............

15 bloody barrow loads of needles...bloody hellfire.............

Anyone would have thought you'd done a days work.

Edited by E.w.

So sorry op

There dragging this down to gutter level

Anyway well done on the quench tank hopefully it'll hold enough of your chosen fluid

Back on track

How's your hangover

Hey Old farrier, Had a parcel of different grades of carbon steel today, need to practice with some mild steel this week . Hope to improve on last weeks fiasco :lol::lol: . I am a little worried about ditchman :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by la bala

Hey Old farrier, Had a parcel of different grades of carbon steel today, need to practice with some mild steel this week this week. Hope to improve on last weeks fiasco :lol::lol: . I am a little worried about ditchman :lol::lol::lol::lol:

shd-upa-yer-face..................

Disaster No 2. Made up a billet of five pieces of 40mm x 3mm mild steel, put each piece across the belt sander until shiny shiny. Before i welded each layer i coated it in a flux paste. I even tacked the billet down the sides. Ones of the lads suggested a hot anvil so i put the heater on my pocket anvil :lol: . Anyway billet in forge, out at yellow white, again someone suggested big strikes so big strikes it got, did i tell you my right shoulder is aching :lol:. I felt reasonably confident, but on returning it to the fire and seeing it side on i new it hadnt fused. I tried two more heats but i was just starting to draw it out. I have cut some cross sections to show you, thought these apple phones were supposed to take good pictures, sorry about quality. I may go out with the rifle for a couple of weeks and come back to this :lol::lol:

post-52836-0-47920700-1507650752_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-29531600-1507650788_thumb.jpg

post-52836-0-35762500-1507650820_thumb.jpg