HW 77 purchase

ditchman

im about to purchase a fairly old hw77...to revamp like wot i did to the Mercury S....the HW has a factory fitted Moderator and extension piece for the loading arm.....the stock is i believe Beech and monte carlo cheekpiece..............

i like it and the reviews i have read are good to...........

whats your opinion of it....

Heavy but built like the proverbial house - mate had one for years but it had barrel droop which caused scope problems but nothing that a slither of shell case couldn't cure - I had the 80 at the time and both guns were pretty well matched. Fashion is their only enemy cos they will hold their own against pretty much anything modern - local dealer offered a friend of mine £50 for his about 3 years back - daylight robbery.

i have fondeled it in the shop....it is very sound but tatty...the varnish is coming off.....the blueing is going.....he uses it as a replacement rifle for customers....the trouble is they dont want to give it back as they like it so much......so i put £50 quid on it so it wont go walkies again...and will pay the balance next week...

it is heavy and will be a lot heavier when i put my scope on it....i will test fire it first then strip it down completly....and post the process up like what i did with the BSA Mercury Mod S...

looking on the net they still make the same model...so parts not a prob'.............not bothered by the weight as i wont be walking it about...............the thing i liked about it NOT BEING A BREAK BARRELL.....is you introduce the pellet straight into the barrell then the sliding breech closes on it and the pellet dosnt travel thro any joins

it is .22 cal..............

I had one in .177 for a good while, it was beautiful especially after a basic tune-up. Smooth, accurate & reliable. My pal pulled his one out from under the bed after 20 years of no use at all and after a basic service at the local gunshop it is still sweet as a nut.

I'd have another one in a flash..

One of the greatest springer ever made

i rekon this one is 30 ? years old..........and they are still making the exact (i think) same model now.......why change something when it is fine as it is........the only change i can see is the laminated stock.....

I purchased one new around 1981 - it was my last present to myself as a bachelor before my hard earned was diverted to things of a more domestic nature. As people have commented they are heavy but what a nice piece of kit!

To me this was a big improvement on the Airsporter and the loading directly into the barrel was a significant improvement on the taps of the contemporary underlevers or side-levers of the day?

At age 11 got my first Airgun a Milbro in .177, a couple of years later I got a scope to put on it and was bitterly disappointed the jaws around the barrel had worn and so the scope mounted on the cylinder would not align with the barrel and always shot 2 foot low! It came off that and waited until I was an apprentice to buy the Airsporter - no more barrel droop hence began my love of underlevers,

My 77 is a great piece of kit, its taken a lot of rabbits, squirrels and even a few head shot hares! I think you will love it. Mine certainly stood the test of time better than the wife, of the two guess which one I kept!

Ditchy the main change over the years is the underlever catch, just make sure you get the correct one, other than that the cylinder diameter changed from 25mm to 26mm (or is it the other way round).

They are good and will out shoot and out last most people with basic maintenance.

that is one thing i will change.....the 77 has a gunsmith made moderator coupled with and underlever catch....it is quite a hunk of metal hanging on the end of a rifle not a carbine.....so i will changing it back to factory spec....i will post pics up of it and the strip down re-furb next week :good:

There are three models, so make sure that you order the right bits. I would also always change the cocking shoe on an old 77, they are a weak (compared to the general build quality of the rest of the gun!) spot, and are only about a tenner. The thread on the rear of the trigger mechanism goes for it, glue a nut in place rather than trying to re-thread if it has fretted. The cylinder was standardised to 26mm from 25mm. The serial number from which this occurred alters from source to source, so just get your calipers out.

They are a great rifle. I inherited my MK II 77. It had been 'tuned' by an amateur. It survived to shoot well again and I expect my daughter to have mine.

Good luck with yours mate. Look forward to seeing it on here.

Best spring air rifle ever made. Completely dominated the airgun scene for years. Had mine secoundhand when I was 12 for Christmas. Gone through thousands of pellets and many springs. Redone the stock 3 times and action once. Still going strong after 25 years and would never sell it

Forgot to add I did struggle to carry it as a kid lol only downside

• 6 months later...
On 15/04/2018 at 13:17, English said:

Ditchman,

Dd you ever complete your refurb or have I missed it in a different thread?

If I have missed would you be kind enough to post a link!

yes i did a rebuild thread on it...............will try and find it..........sept 20th 2017..."im mainly doing hw77 fettle"

Edited by ditchman