Gloves

walt1980

I'm after some decent gloves to use in the winter on game shoots.

I've got a pair of the thin macwets I use in the summer and on cooler days but could do with some warmer ones as well.

Had a look at the sealskinz Hunter gloves, look reasonable, any thoughts on them or are there any others worth looking at???

I have a couple of pairs of Sealskins which I use for shooting, both driven days, decoying and sitting in ambush for soft furry things. Although thin, they are remarkably warm.

My old arthritic hands and fingers feel the cold more these days and these gloves work pretty well up to a point, however another neat American invention for hunters in cold climates is a muff you can hang around your neck and adjust to waist area, where you can push in your hands ... I do with the gloves on as well .. keeping them very snug indeed. The muff also has a small pocket on the side where you can also put a hand warmer. Waiting for a drive to start, sitting in the reds waiting for a duck or two, sat in a high seat on a freezing January morning this bit of kit is worth every penny. Check out the Cabela's site, they will ship no problem.

On edit, just checked their web site and they are under 'hand warmers', looks like they have been uprated and the price has gone up a bit since I purchased mine about 15yrs ago. $49..99 but will last you a lifetime.

Edited by Walker570

Said this before. Layer up.

1. Karimorr glove liners from sports direct (warmth and sweat). £2.99

2. Any latex / vinyl disposal glove. (Mid layer). £7.00 for 100

3. Leather gloves. Keep then cheap as their get damaged. (Hard wearing).

Wash 1, bin 2, wear out 3.

For game shooting I would get yourself another set of the MacWets ..... we don't get that many really cold days, and they're a dream to shoot in as you'll know. Much of the day you'll be able to use your pockets and can have a hand warmer if you suffer.

If you were spending a night under the moon, or heading up into the mountains for a day it would be a different case and I'd be recommending something else.

These are all the rage apparently.

https://birco.co.uk/products/silverline-427550-latex-builders-gloves-large?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=24862673415&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4vWvue6m1gIV2sqyCh2EtAdbEAYYBSABEgL-XPD_BwE

In the past I needed to use gloves for most shooting and I have an extensive collection of woollen and leather gloves, none of which were perfect. I am off to the builders merchants to get some of these in the hope that Motty or Muncher will take me out on the marsh when the Pinks arrive (as a spectator of course).

Edited by JDog

https://birco.co.uk/products/silverline-427550-latex-builders-gloves-large?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=24862673415&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4vWvue6m1gIV2sqyCh2EtAdbEAYYBSABEgL-XPD_BwE

In the past I needed to use gloves for most shooting and I have an extensive collection of woollen and leather gloves, none of which were perfect. I am off to the builders merchants to get some of these in the hope that Motty or Muncher will take me out on the marsh when the Pinks arrive (as a spectator of course).

I wear that type of glove everyday at work. Your hands will freeze!

Best cheap solution is the latex glove route imo

Whatever you do dont buy neoprene gloves, mine seem to have built in freezer plates. Wore them once winter fishing , never again. Old time fowlers would dip their hands in cold water then let them dry naturally, supposed to keep hands warm all day.

Blackpowder

As an apprentice i had to break the ice on the water butt at work so we could dip our hands in, it does work but it's painful at first!

I use some string knitted fingerless gloves,hard wearing and warm

I would prefer it if you came armed.