Tesla

AVB

I have only gone and ordered one. The Model X to replace the Discovery. I never thought I would do it or that the wife would accept it but she was actually quite attracted to it.

The clincher was the overall sales experiences. Just soooo much better than other dealers, especially Land Rover, who just expected you to be grateful that they allow you to buy one of their cars.

Nice car, I do prefer the S to the X but the X still a good looking car with outstanding performance and cutting edge design.

I have no idea of what you are paying and its no ones business but your own, would it be my choice for the money not so sure, but I wish you some fantastic motoring and a Porsche beater as well.

Amazing machine, often see them on my travels in Norway

Tesla is the official Airport cars too in Amsterdam

For fun I just spec'd my ideal model in black with the black 22" rims and all options in the performance edition..... wow, a seriously quick machine

Would spec the six seat option but remove the middle two in order to keep the kids far away from me as at the moment you never know if one min they are trying to tickle you and the next a chunk of Lego is being whacked around your head.

Enjoy your purchase

Is that the one with gull wing doors?

Ooooh you don't say that in the showroom. "They are falcon wing doors sir"!! Quite a clever design as they are hinged half way up the door as well as the roof so you actually need less space to open them than a traditional door.

Cost wise it is, on a PCP, less than a discovery 5 despite the price being £25k more. Great residual value and 1.5% APR helps.

Great residual value

TBH, residual value is one of the things that has put me off Tesla... I know they give a high "guaranteed future value" when you finance them, but concerns that the that true residual value (i.e. if you were to try to sell one privately/PX against another make) might be somewhat lower have dissuaded me as I can't help but think that the 2nd hand market is going to be very cautious.

(a friend runs a model S and thinks it's great, he changes his cars every couple of years though, so the finance model works for him as he's worked on the basis that he'll just hand the keys back)

Stunning car mate,I'm more attracted to the interior though.Looks like a lovely place to be especially in the white.Been looking on YouTube since you posted and the figures are fantastic.Cant understand why all the leading manufactures cant produce similar cars with similar figures.Insted we are graced with the likes if the Nissan Leaf and the Toyota rubbish.

Suppose it's a Goverment control thing,just imagine if nobody had no need to fuel up with diesel or petrol ever again.Suppose we can see some massive stealth taxed invented lol.

Edited by Davyo

Are they reliable?? Hire car company I work for has been supplying replacements for a couple of Tesla customers in Norfolk who have seriously defective cars. One out on the north Norfolk coast gets a BMW 330 every couple of months - we are almost good buddies now!

Reliability has to be compared relative to a Land Rover! Time will tell as there are not many of them in the UK. They have a large and growing customer base in the US and no horror stories heard so far. Yes some do break down,

TBH, residual value is one of the things that has put me off Tesla... I know they give a high "guaranteed future value" when you finance them, but concerns that the that true residual value (i.e. if you were to try to sell one privately/PX against another make) might be somewhat lower have dissuaded me as I can't help but think that the 2nd hand market is going to be very cautious.

(a friend runs a model S and thinks it's great, he changes his cars every couple of years though, so the finance model works for him as he's worked on the basis that he'll just hand the keys back)

Yes you are right I am referring to the GMV. There must be some relation between that and actual residual value though otherwise Tesla are going to be losing a lot of money when the PCP deals expire.

Stunning car mate,I'm more attracted to the interior though.Looks like a lovely place to be especially in the white.Been looking on YouTube since you posted and the figures are fantastic.Cant understand why all the leading manufactures cant produce similar cars with similar figures.Insted we are graced with the likes if the Nissan Leaf and the Toyota rubbish.

Suppose it's a Goverment control thing,just imagine if nobody had no need to fuel up with diesel or petrol ever again.Suppose we can see some massive stealth taxed invented lol.

The interior is definitely stunning. I have gone for Tan rather than White though mainly because of a reduced lead time. The other stunning feature is the panoramic windscreen. I shudder to think what the replacement cost will be however I have just got an insurance quote (which includes windscreen cover) and it's no more expensive that my current Discovery 4. You actually get 5% discount if you have the enhanced auto drive feature (I do).

If anybody wants to see what the future is with autonomous driving look at this video.

OK it not legal over here yet but one day it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be intrigued as to how you get on operating the huge touchscreen control panel, i know that trying to find buttons if bopping along on a surface with any bumps or rises is sometimes a challenge as your had floats around in free space. Is there a place where you can anchor your hand in order to push the buttons that you want to on the screen?

I will be intrigued as to how you get on operating the huge touchscreen control panel, i know that trying to find buttons if bopping along on a surface with any bumps or rises is sometimes a challenge as your had floats around in free space. Is there a place where you can anchor your hand in order to push the buttons that you want to on the screen?

I think at that price everything can be voice activated.No need to touch anything.

My VW has touch screen, no voice control and it's awful!

I even accidentally put radio 1 on the other day

I don't know I pick the car up on Friday. I'll let you know. From what I recall the most common used button such as temperature are located at the bottom of the screen so you do have a reference point. The door opening buttons only appear when you stop (obviously) so no issue with those. The challenges will be music and satnav. Both can be voice activated but who knows how good it is.

I'm having great fun winding people up on the Tesla Owners Facebook page. I bought the car because of its technology not because it is 'green'. I like reminding people of that and that I have a Defender that runs on baby polar bears.

I don't know I pick the car up on Friday. I'll let you know. From what I recall the most common used button such as temperature are located at the bottom of the screen so you do have a reference point. The door opening buttons only appear when you stop (obviously) so no issue with those. The challenges will be music and satnav. Both can be voice activated but who knows how good it is.

I'm having great fun winding people up on the Tesla Owners Facebook page. I bought the car because of its technology not because it is 'green'. I like reminding people of that and that I have a Defender that runs on baby polar bears.

I have seen a couple of them in the flesh and think they are great looking cars and the technology is fantastic.

I did a bit of work for a while close to their Edinburgh showroom and admired them as i wandered past.

They also had about 20 spaces reserved in a nearby car park, prime city centre, with their superfast charging units on the wall. Think parking was FOC for Tesla owners, £17.50 per 8 hours normally. Annoyed the hell out of me driving past 20 empty spaces anytime i was in there 😂

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences, i hope that they are very good ones.

My VW has touch screen, no voice control and it's awful!

I even accidentally put radio 1 on the other day

Wow, that is a traumatic experience!!

I gave up on voice control in mine and the touchscreen annoyed me too due to waving hand syndrome.

If screen buttons can be dynamic make them huge and easy to press whikst going very quickly on a shoogly surface!

The voice activation will be spot on I'd imagine.You will probably have options to record up to say four voices.The app will simply recognise who's voice it is.Inital voice activation may be a simple press of a button at 9 o'clock on the steering wheel.Similar to Ford's Sync (probably more advanced)which I found worked fine.

I've put a few ipads & Samsung tablets in cars and the voice activated apps you can download work great.Everything from Satnav,radio phone and texts is done purley through speech.

Hope you enjoy your new car,i'd be happy just playing with the technology.

Edited by Davyo

And who would have thunk! Reading something the other day, oh yeah, Alastair Mitchell in the Shooting Times, Polar Bear numbers have increased, so at least you'll have a sustainable fuel source.

Daft question probably, but how do you recharge the Tesla at home?

You buy a 7 KW charger (£500 contribution from the government!). That's what I am having done but I need the feed to the garage upgraded first. Alternatively, plug it into a 13amp socket although that would be very slow (about 7 miles per hours)

Picked car up yesterday. Very impressed. Actually most of common functions can be operated from the steering wheel. You only really need the screen for functions that you would use when parked.

The voice activation will be spot on I'd imagine.You will probably have options to record up to say four voices.The app will simply recognise who's voice it is.Inital voice activation may be a simple press of a button at 9 o'clock on the steering wheel.Similar to Ford's Sync (probably more advanced)which I found worked fine.

I've put a few ipads & Samsung tablets in cars and the voice activated apps you can download work great.Everything from Satnav,radio phone and texts is done purley through speech.

Hope you enjoy your new car,i'd be happy just playing with the technology.

The voice control is also very impressive. I think we have all had experience of car voice control that just doesn't work. This one does without the need to train the system to your voice - "navigate to home", "play Amy Winehouse" (it comes with a free spotify account) etc. just works. That is one of the biggest differences with Tesla. It is a technology company not simply a car manufacturer.