First skein of Pinks.

JDog

This afternoon whilst minding my own business looking for that rarity the wood pigeon in these parts I heard a very evocative sound. The hairs on my arms stood up as the sound got louder and then I saw the geese. There were 54 in the skein and they were heading south eastwards over the northern part of the Lincolnshire Wolds.

Northerlies always help ... I hope someone strikes lucky !!

Yes the northerlies were certainly helping. The geese were hardly flapping at all.

Wouldn't it be something if the geese that were seen over Aberdeenshire and Central Scotland were the same ones I saw? They are the first arrivals and it's not as if there are thousands here yet.

Time we see them in any numbers is around the last week in Sept , ( give or take a day or two ) , this is after they have had a wash and brush up in Lincs or N / Norfolk ,

Last year I was pigeon shooting on some late stubbles in the Broad land area when they started to arrive in vast numbers off the sea , as soon as one skein dropped in on some stubble the next lot were already in sight , this went on all the time I was there and time I left there must have been 1000s resting on the stubble , .