head torch

pintail

now geting back in to beach fishing again, used to have anchor lamps years ago but they are all rusted up and hear people use head torches instead of tilly and anchor lamps, just wondered how long the battrys last in the head torch will they do a full night session like 8hrs and any one recomend a reliable make, cheers.

I bought a Petzl head torch recently from a car boot, it has 3 different light settings and a diffuser lens + another intense light button, i have used this several times beach fishing to illuminate the rod tips and when overnight carp fishing to see what i am doing when landing a fish, or baiting up and can honestly say its been awesome, and its still using the same batteries that i put in 3 weeks ago if you buy new they are £30-£40, I have other Petzl head torches which i have used over the years and found them all to be pretty good.

On the lowest light setting its apparently good for 170 hours continuous use, and still gives good lighting without being annoying to others.

Had Petzls for 13 years then randomly ended up working for the guy who imports LED lensers. He saw me use my petzl and gave me two Lensors to try. This was about a year ago now.

I have to say the lensor is the best headtorch I've ever used. The major gain over the Petzl was the fact the lensor is rechargable and should the charge run out you and you still need to use the torch (no time to charge it) you simply pop out the rechargeable pack and insert AAA batteries. Very practical.

now geting back in to beach fishing again, used to have anchor lamps years ago but they are all rusted up and hear people use head torches instead of tilly and anchor lamps, just wondered how long the battrys last in the head torch will they do a full night session like 8hrs and any one recomend a reliable make, cheers.

I just got these, run off 3 x AA batteries and should last all night for tent/powercuts, wouldn't want to have them in the open in chucking rain but otherwise should be fine - put rechargables in it the other day so will go and switch on and see what the run time is today..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072KK6MHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also for head torches, it would be fair to say even the cheap models have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years.

Currently, I run a few of the cheaper ones with white and red lights for general use such as dog walking (usb chargable, built in lithium batteries) such as these which are comfortably able to light up to 40 yards...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0I2I5R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and also a high power Fenix similar running on 4xAA to below

https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/fenix-head-torches/fenix-hp15-ultimate-edition-led-head-torch.html

There really is a choice out there for everyone

Hi

Alpkit do the Gamma Lightweight - a good one in my opinion and experience - but not as expensive as Lenser/Petzl etc.

Linky: https://www.alpkit.com/products/gamma

L

I have the Ring Occulus branded variation of this from about 10 years ago, but with red/green/blue leds rather than red/green/white and 1w instead of 3w main led, been a good little torch and still serves as back up for when out stalking.

thanks for all the replys, looks like i will be getting a head torch in the near future, oldpigeonpopper, my local beach is Dunwich in suffolk, will be giving it a go next week, heard plenty of whiting coming out with the odd skate and bass, used to be mad keen sea fishing, digging my own lug and collecting peelers, but got in to shooting and fishing went out of the window but with now working part time have more time to do both.

Another vote for the LED Lenser range. I have the seo-7r. My partner bought me it for a present. I use it for hill walking, shooting, climbing and fishing and it's not put a foot wrong. It's got a red light as well as a triple setting for the main light: full beam, half beam and flashing. As others have said, they're rechargeable - if you have an android phone it's the same charging cable - and still runs off triple AAA's too. brilliant torch

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/power-tools/torches/led-lenser-rechargeable-head-lamp-blue-(seo-7r)/p/LED9046510K?utm_campaign=pla-Power+Tools+-+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping-pla&utm_keyword=LED9046510K&istCompanyId=6aa6787b-063e-4414-802d-129f235df603&istItemId=xwwxwpmrpp&istBid=tztx&gclid=CjwKCAjwl_PNBRBcEiwA4pplRTm6NwxmKM4_MlT09nJBhZ1l-r3J2TnMA9U9rkutXBURHvJ_7E68fxoCh7cQAvD_BwE

There is something very satisfying on those frosty winter nights when the old Coleman Powerhouse is nestled between your legs warming your thighs and the air is filled with the smell of squid as it evaporates from your fingers as they warm above the lamp, whilst around you all the other anglers are hunched up hands thrust deep in their pockets!