Day out on ducks geese and pigeon

Fenny

Hi I am looking for 4 guns on Sunday 24th September to take part in a days shooting. The day will start with a morning duck/goose flight followed by pigeon shooting during the day and finishing with an evening duck/goose flight. The meeting place is Little India Thorney Toll postcode pe13 4at Cambs. The cost for the day is £50 per gun please pm for more details.

Best of luck with your Sunday shoot, here in Great Yarmouth we are not permitted to shoot wildfowl on Sunday's under some ancient law that was not repealed in the countryside act, as are many other counties in the same situation, quote as per BASC rules:

Shooting on Sundays and at night
  • England and Wales – before the passing of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays were made under the Protection of Birds Act 1954. These orders have not been rescinded and so in the following counties/part counties the shooting of wildfowl is prohibited on Sundays: Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarfon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, ""Great Yarmouth County Borough"" ME !!, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, ""Norfolk"" ME AGAIN!!!, Pembroke, Somerset and North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.
  • Still at least I can go out after pigeons.

Best of luck with your Sunday shoot, here in Great Yarmouth we are not permitted to shoot wildfowl on Sunday's under some ancient law that was not repealed in the countryside act, as are many other counties in the same situation, quote as per BASC rules:

Shooting on Sundays and at night
  • England and Wales – before the passing of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays were made under the Protection of Birds Act 1954. These orders have not been rescinded and so in the following counties/part counties the shooting of wildfowl is prohibited on Sundays: Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarfon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, ""Great Yarmouth County Borough"" ME !!, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, ""Norfolk"" ME AGAIN!!!, Pembroke, Somerset and North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.
  • Still at least I can go out after pigeons.

I am not certain, BUT, I believe it is ANY form of shooting, clays or otherwise. It was pointed out to me by the local Constabulary in Montgomeryshire County, prior to the 1974 boundary changes. North Wales Shooting ground also fell under the same By-Laws and have remained 'dry' to this day ! A lot of the old Counties have gone, BUT the By-Law remains.

I am not certain, BUT, I believe it is ANY form of shooting, clays or otherwise. It was pointed out to me by the local Constabulary in Montgomeryshire County, prior to the 1974 boundary changes. North Wales Shooting ground also fell under the same By-Laws and have remained 'dry' to this day ! A lot of the old Counties have gone, BUT the By-Law remains.

By North Wales Shooting Ground do you mean the Joneses ground at Sealand? We shot the British OT GP for forty years until 1997 there and shot on Sundays.

These old county orders were retained under the 1954 Act, and date from before that. They have nothing to do with licensing nor with shooting at targets. As I understand it in Victorian times folk would go on a river or coastal day trip (typically on a Sunday which was their only free day) and simply shoot at any bird which offered.

Bird protection legislation was at one time an amazingly complicated mixture of local and national law, and the 1954 Act was a pretty good attempt to rationalise it. It cost us the Brent but did put Canadas on the quarry list. The parliamentary fight over it was what re-energised WAGBI and led to many clubs being formed.