Bit of bad news today!

deeksofdoom

My poor springer bitch who will be 10 this month has been to the vets today, the news isn't good she has a large mass in her abdomen and a murmur in her heart.

Only had her out retrieving tennis balls the other night to sharpen her up for the season. But she sudden downhill turn in the last few days. The vet has given her a few injections and I have some antibiotics to try her on for the week and see how she gets on over the week.

Possible diagnosis at the moment are kidney infection, lungworm, diabeties but more than likely it's a cancerous tumour. Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks for the replies unfortunately she had to be put to sleep today. She wasn't able to keep down any food from last night, had her outside in the garden and she was trying to vomit and go to the toilet and nothing was happening.

Then her tummy swelled up and she began frothing at the mouth, so I took her to the vet. There was no point in dragging things out and she was put to sleep, fairly broken hearted. Thought I would still have a few years left in her, but that's life.

Sorry to hear this its like losing a family member.

Lost our little terrier to cancer last year he was only 8 years old.

He was a bit off colour on Monday when we were down our wood and not running about with the other dogs as much. He perked up again later and seemed fine. Wednesday he started being ill and was at vets for blood tests. Back on Thursday when blood tests revealed a problem, for a scan which revealed a ruptured cancerous growth on his liver.

We took him back to our wood to bury him on Friday.

Sorry to hear your news, I lost two dogs in February, one was old and kind of expected the other was my main dog and only 9 1/2 years, I thought we had a few more seasons but not to be.

There is always a hole when one goes. Remember the good days out and the impossible retrieve when she came back with the bird that was thought lost.

It's amazing she always stood in the same spot in the run looking in the kitchen window directly at me, if I couldn't see her I call her to see what she was at. The view is not the same out the kitchen window anymore.

I buried her in the back garden beside the run, with 3 puppies she lost out of her first and only litter about 6 years ago, wrapped up in some of my old t-shirts.

Going to find it hard to replace this dog.

So sorry for your loss, rest in peace.

Our collie was fit and well, suddenly the same thing happened at 9.. took her to the vets and after scans etc she had masses in her stomach area. Vet guessed cancer and she was put to sleep a week later. She was fine until then, it was a big mass and she must of been putting up for it for a while but never showed pain or was off her food. Heart breaking

You never replace them!

Edited by Pigeonshooter22

Been through it a dozen times and it does not get any easier. I am at an age where I could not do for a working dog what I should so will not be having another, Every dog I meet now gets a lot of cuddle. Nothing quite like having a canine hunting pal. Lots of very happy memories though.

As said nothing really cures it like getting another. Whoever said you cannot buy happiness, forgot little puppies.