Raw pigeon

filzee

I feed all four of mine raw chicken carcases and have done for a number of years with zero ill effects and I have very healthy dogs

I can't speak to feeding pigeon but my previous research has suggested that the general wisdom has always been to never feed cooked bone and in particular that of birds.

If I've understood correctly a dog's digestive process doesn't have the same effect on cooked bone as it does on raw bone, i.e cooked bone doesn't get broken down to the same extent.

As a result you have the possibility of shards of bone being passed along the full length of the gut which gives the potential for the gut wall to be pierced resulting in the possibility of very serious if not fatal consequences. Even if it doesn't do any damage to the intestine on its way through it has to be extremely problematic when it comes to defection. The phrase, "giving birth to a hedgehog", springs to mind.

In short I would think raw would be ok but I wouldn't risk cooked and it'd be best to recover the lead before feeding.

HTH

Edited by Ooops

Personally I would be cooking them 1st, purely to differentiate them from raw ones when shooting.

Yes I know dogs should be able to tell the difference between a retrieve and food, but over the years I've seen a great many dogs eat game during a day, only the other week a gun's dog got stuck into a crate of grouse while they were having lunch.

I also know of a couple off picking up dogs that would often eat the first couple of partridges it retrieves, not great but it does happen and I would imagine be difficult to stop once started

Personally I wouldn't want the risk of confusing the dog

U would also have to be more careful how u store dogs/birds on the way home from shooting if in the past they have both been in the back of car/pick up