Leaving the country

Donegalcharlie

I have often been way for a number of years and never informed police or FEO. There is no legislation that requires you to do so. I do, however, inform the British Consulate of the country that I am in. They like to know what British Citizens are there in case of emergency.

I left for three years and my FEO advised passing my guns to a friend. I gave two on loan to him and we updated our certificates and then I took one with me on a European Pass (my area of Spain wasn't bothered about me having it there for an extended period on the pass). Once I got back I took possession of them again. Easy and less to worry about whilst I was away.

Depends if someone is there whilst your away.

When I went to Lanzarote to work for a year my parents etc were in our family home, they were included in the Police checks of who lived their when the Police granted my licence so no issues.

My only concern was what would happen if your licence expired whilst out of the country. I was asked to do a second year in Portugal and very nearly did, but in the end didn't bother, so didn't have to worry about that issue personally.

Depends if someone is there whilst your away.

When I went to Lanzarote to work for a year my parents etc were in our family home, they were included in the Police checks of who lived their when the Police granted my licence so no issues.

My only concern was what would happen if your licence expired whilst out of the country. I was asked to do a second year in Portugal and very nearly did, but in the end didn't bother, so didn't have to worry about that issue personally.

I only have a shotgun certificate but mine expired when I was working overseas. The FEO renewed it over the phone.