Raw feeding

hatsanmad

Hi guys im considering raw feed for my dogs but im unsure of how to go about it and quantity i should give. Im currently paying 70 quid for 30 kilo of biscuit every 3 months and the biscuits are good and the dogs are happy on it. Only reason for my question is a few people have told me to switch to raw feed. Any advice please? And sorry i know this post has been done and seen alot.

Regards hatsan

i raw feed, the accepted idea (although not based on anything scientific ) is 10% bone, 10% offal and 80 % meat varying the proteins often (duck, lamb, rabbit, chicken, fish) you get the idea, if the doo doo is hard and chalky lower the bone content etc. . To me raw is what a dog evolved to eat and kibble is just a man made marketing exercise, most vets are pretty clueless about nutrition and lots will side with the processed food manufacturers. I don't feed my family processed **** and I wont give it to my dog either

Whenever I see this questions about raw feeding it always ends the same, raw feeders get progressively more shouty that it is the best and only way to feed dogs.

I tried raw and it did not work for me. They now have a high quality complete food with raw chicken wings or bones a couple of times a week and they are healthy and will work 3 or 4 days a week.

I feed both biscuit and raw, the dog is in great shape.

The other thing you need to consider is your going to need a freezer and fridge for your dog food, its pretty easy these days to get hold of raw food I use a local butchers for chicken carcass and a pet food suppliers for minced lb blocks of various different types.

I feed only raw to my 2 gsd's, coats and general fitness are awesome. However, feed what your dog is happy with, I wouldn't change a diet just because someone said to. Unless you were thinking about it anyway. Do what suits you and your dog best

seems like the kibble feeder is the "SHOUTY" one :-) , maybe its from eating too much processed food? Raw isn't suitable for everyone which isn't a problem but kibble isn't natural and I don't see many wild animals tracking and bringing down a kibble for the pack to eat ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nasty things them wild kibbles ;)

I've changed from Kibble twice a day to morning feed Kibble and evening feed raw and I can see a difference.

Since being snipped he became greedy and always wanting food. Inevitably he put weight on so I put him on a diet of no treats and just his Kibble. He shed the weight but was bloated on the stomach. After asking the same question here I started on raw feeding half his food and the bloating has almost gone. He's also a lot calmer.

Once I sort out the freezer situation I will almost certainly go all raw.

It worked for me.

The other issue cosd is thawing food in winter, at the moment I leave food out over night in the garage then pop it in the fridge next day, but I found last year that I had to bring food inside in order to thaw it out and ended up switching the fridge off.

Wife also said the electric bill had gone up running an extra fridge and freezer.

The other issue cosd is thawing food in winter, at the moment I leave food out over night in the garage then pop it in the fridge next day, but I found last year that I had to bring food inside in order to thaw it out and ended up switching the fridge off.

Wife also said the electric bill had gone up running an extra fridge and freezer.

So we thaw inside and after tomorrow when electrician wires in new fuse box, we will have two fridges for the family anyway. Dog will have one draw space which isn't ideal, but we buy locally so no issue going to the shop every two weeks.

A good point though to consider when deciding to go raw, it is a faf compared to Kibble.

We bought some containers big enough to hold three chicken carcasses, not whole ones so we could bring it inside but keep it out the way, found that stuff didn't fully thaw in the fridge, if at all.

What do other folk do feeding raw over winter?? Any clever ideas I haven't thought about.

That is the other reason for feeding biscuits in the morning its quick and mess free obviously so if I don't have something thawed which has happened I can give him biscuit again without worry, with maybe a tin of sardines.

We bought some containers big enough to hold three chicken carcasses, not whole ones so we could bring it inside but keep it out the way, found that stuff didn't fully thaw in the fridge, if at all.

What do other folk do feeding raw over winter?? Any clever ideas I haven't thought about.

That is the other reason for feeding biscuits in the morning its quick and mess free obviously so if I don't have something thawed which has happened I can give him biscuit again without worry, with maybe a tin of sardines.

Mine are fed twice a day, around 1lb each morning and night. Take food out and put in plastic box, if it's really cold a little bit of warm water in the box and leave near the dryer in the kitchen. If in the morning it's still frozen in places a little bit more warm water and it's usually good to go a couple of hours after

I feed more raw in the winter because the dogs maintain a better condition on it. My lurcher won't hold weight in the winter if she is working and only being fed kibble. The spaniel has increased energy and stamina on it. If I feed kibble to increase the lurcher's weight the only result is more waste. I'm not as scientific as others. I don't mix feeds. One day raw, the next day kibble. I feed mainly chicken carcasses and chicken mince which comes with a warning. The bugs and nasties associated with raw meat, especially poultry can be an issue. The dogs gut may deal with them quite well, but if you have your dogs running around the house licking your kids faces there are risks of such things as campylobacter and similar illness. Vulnerable and immuno suppressed dogs can also suffer with these diseases. My dogs are kennelled, grandkids don't play with them and the handling of the raw meat is done to avoid any contamination. Thorough hand washing and disinfection when required. Feeding a good quality dry food is convenient, it is easy to store and easy to feed. There is nothing wrong with it, but if you have the set up that allows try feeding raw, it may suit you and your dogs.

I feed more raw in the winter because the dogs maintain a better condition on it. My lurcher won't hold weight in the winter if she is working and only being fed kibble. The spaniel has increased energy and stamina on it. If I feed kibble to increase the lurcher's weight the only result is more waste. I'm not as scientific as others. I don't mix feeds. One day raw, the next day kibble. I feed mainly chicken carcasses and chicken mince which comes with a warning. The bugs and nasties associated with raw meat, especially poultry can be an issue. The dogs gut may deal with them quite well, but if you have your dogs running around the house licking your kids faces there are risks of such things as campylobacter and similar illness. Vulnerable and immuno suppressed dogs can also suffer with these diseases. My dogs are kennelled, grandkids don't play with them and the handling of the raw meat is done to avoid any contamination. Thorough hand washing and disinfection when required. Feeding a good quality dry food is convenient, it is easy to store and easy to feed. There is nothing wrong with it, but if you have the set up that allows try feeding raw, it may suit you and your dogs.

That is a very good post.

• 4 weeks later...

We feed all ours raw swapped over to it nicely. As people have said some dogs can't cope with it.

We add some raw veg and coconut paste stuff every other day.

We do need a big cheat freezer to keep it all in. Lucky we have the space for it.

We get it from Durham animal feed. Pre mixed 1lb bags. Haven't found anyone cheaper yet. Plus it free delivery

The girlfriend forgets to get the meat out half the time, dogs can soon get through a frozen block of meat!

We've fed all raw, or all dry, high quality dry was more convenient, but she didn't think some of the dogs were doing as well on it, so switched back to raw.