Centrel heating

Royboy

Before I get a a plumber in does anyone have any ideas on my heating problem ?

Main radiator in living room only gets slightly warm when heating is on. If I turn every single radiator off in the house the living room radiator gets hot, then when I turn the rest of the radiators back on the living room one cools down again and only half works !

Doing my head in

Edited by Royboy

Needs balancing it's not getting enough flow to heat it. Water will take the path of least resistance. If after balancing it still don't heat up properly try turning the pump up to its next setting they usually have three settings.

That one radiator could also be full of sludge and need flushing out.

Edited by figgy

Needs balancing it's not getting enough flow to heat it. Water will take the path of least resistance. If after balancing it still don't heat up properly try turning the pump up to its next setting they usually have three settings.

That one radiator could also be full of sludge and need flushing out.

I'll try balancing them tomorrow 👍

I don't think they will be full of sludge because I fit new radiators in every room about 3 years ago ?

Turn off all the other radiators using the lock sheild valve allow the radiator to get hot then open one valve at a time but only just open enough to allow hot water to flow into the radiator. This will restrict the flow to the radiators that get hot it can be time consuming

If when you turn off other rads, the problem one gets hot, then it`s more than likely a balancing problem.

Balancing the system is not rocket science, just try gradually partially shutting down the rads starting with those nearest the boiler/pump being shut down a bit more than those further away. This should be done using the lockshield valve on each rad, not the wheel head or TRV, until this boosts the flow through the problematic rad. It`s a bit trial and error but not really difficult.

Hope that this helps.

OB