Intruder shot

landy george

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume his age etc was taken into account. 

General nature of offence: Possessing, etc. shot gun without shot gun certificate. 
Mode of Trial: Triable Either Way.
Punishment: (a) Summary 6 months or the statutory maximum; or both [Applies to Scotland only.] (b) On indictment 5 years or a fine; or both

43 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

It's a tough one, how can you punish someone for an illegal shotgun, when the outcome in this case is likely they'd have been tortured and possibly murdered If he didn't have it?

Sorry but struggling to understand the logic here and with a few other similar posts.

How can u justify owning an illegal gun full stop??

Does that mean other people who expect to get attacked are ok to tool up on the quiet? it's not a massive leap for crim's to tool up and justify it as they will have a good chance of being attacked..

Ur not really a massive leap of faith away from all those kids that used to carry chibs/knifes just in case they need it.

I've said all along there must be more to this case, it just doesn't really make an awful lot of sense.

Not sure if the sentence is harsh or not, I'm sure I've heard/read of 'proper' crims getting away with having illegal guns and not doing any jail time, which I think is wrong.

They're needs to be a really harsh detterent  to put folk of owning illegal guns

Without having been in the Courtroom for the duration of the trial, we will never really know all the facts of the case and the proceeedings. Court cases depend on advocacy, so how strident were the prosecution? Or were they just going through the motions? How good were the defence? And finally was the defendant lucky to have Judge Paul Dugdale presiding?  He has certainly made some controversial rulings in the past.

It just doesn't sit right with me. If someone had just been done for an illegally held gun on say a random search, people would be baying for the maximum sentence. He used said illegally held gun which obviously makes the situation far worse,  but according to opinion somehow it makes it justifiable?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he wasn't hurt and the scumbags deserved what they got, but surely this is sending out the wrong message. It makes it look like having a gun illegally is bad, but as long as you use it, you will get of with a lighter sentence.

There's a lot more to this than the snippets we've been drip fed.

12 hours ago, scotslad said:

Sorry but struggling to understand the logic here and with a few other similar posts.

How can u justify owning an illegal gun full stop??

Does that mean other people who expect to get attacked are ok to tool up on the quiet? it's not a massive leap for crim's to tool up and justify it as they will have a good chance of being attacked..

Ur not really a massive leap of faith away from all those kids that used to carry chibs/knifes just in case they need it.

I've said all along there must be more to this case, it just doesn't really make an awful lot of sense.

Not sure if the sentence is harsh or not, I'm sure I've heard/read of 'proper' crims getting away with having illegal guns and not doing any jail time, which I think is wrong.

They're needs to be a really harsh detterent  to put folk of owning illegal guns

I would never usually condone illegal gun ownership but I'm trying to use common sense in this case, reading between the lines it seems to me they've lived in the same caravan since 1964, I'm guessing they were the type who just keep themselves to themselves, the shotgun was probably owned before licencing was needed and may even have been handed down through the family, I'm also assuming the guys led an otherwise law abiding life.

Now imprisonment is supposed to deter and rehabilitate you from doing furher crime, tell me, if you had just used a gun to save your own and sisters life illegally held or not, do you think given the option to re-live that event you would chose not to have the gun and face you and your sister being murdered or killed. I think youd do exactly the same thing again. So what purpose does jailing him serve?

If it's to deter others I think that' very harsh as they'e essentally used the bloke as a political scape goat who did nothing more than save his and his sisters life.

This obviously assumes that my assumptions are correct and there's not alot of further issues to this case, but if my assumptions are correct, that is my reasoning, like I said, a tough one.

Could have been a frying pan that he killed the intruder with. Personally I dont think it matters if the shotgun was held legally or not, if the intruders had not have been there they would still be watching Jeremy this morning.  The old chap held the shotgun because of his lack of faith in our police force or justice system. He felt the need to defend his life and property in anyway he felt fit legally or not. 

Basically he was at the end of his options. 

I'm not picking an argument here, but a lot of people have no faith in our police or justice system. Does that give them the right to have illegal guns? Does that mean they should be able to walk down the high street with a machete in case they are mugged? Where would it end?

A fair result on both charges in my mind.

The intent of the person in possession of the uncertified gun plays the bigger part in the equation, rather than the simple possession. IMO there is a world of difference to a pensioner in the middle of nowhere having one for 'just in case'/an old war trophy etc and a teenager actively engaged in gang behaviour having one to 'protect themselves'.

You're right about no confidence in the police to routinely enforce the law, Police numbers and funding are causing them to prioritise - and PC seems be at the top of the list. Not saying what is right or wrong but lets face it - the police have all but disappeared from the streets - and that's wrong, Those who are able to protect themselves legally or otherwise are more likely to do whatever it takes to do what the police can't or won't.

We can't be far off more otherwise blameless ordinary civilians taking the law into their own hands as a preventative measure. I anticipate more far right feelings being shown more openly too - and new less tolerant political parties gaining more seats.

4 minutes ago, Mighty Ruler said:

I read yesterday that he obtained the gun years ago following a previous attack, then applied for a certificate but was turned down, but kept the gun anyway. I wonder why he was turned down?

My understanding is the caravan wasn't considered secure enough.