Chimney sweep

biketestace

Evening all,

I live in the Burton on Trent area and i require my chimney swept before i start using my wood burner again.

Id prefer to go by recommendations if possible please.

Iv done this myself in the past but to keep up with the house insurance policy terms and conditions, i am now required to use a professional.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Evening all,

I live in the Burton on Trent area and i require my chimney swept before i start using my wood burner again.

Iv done this myself in the past but to keep up with the house insurance policy terms and conditions, i am now required to use a professional.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

I struggle to get my head around this ludicrous modern world in which we live. You've managed to sweep your own chimney for years and yet to comply with some faceless folk you now have to provide evidence that the job has been taken over by professionals.

These so called professionals are only called professionals because they own a piece of paper that states as much. Anyone can pay to own this piece of paper by the way and they can only do the same thing you always did yourself.

Long term it may well be cheaper to buy the piece of paper than buy the services of those that have.

Evening all,

Thanks in advance,

Paul

have your insurance company insisted on it paul ?. ive heard many times that insurance companies are forcing log burner users to have certs to say that the chimneys are being swept , but , my home insurance company werent particularly interested , they just said that its good practice to do it every year , i do my own at least twice per burning season and they were more than happy with that.

SK from Measham charged me £25 to dig a big jackdaw nest out and was there best part of an hour. I gave him an extra ten for a good job well done.

My Clearviews produce a couple of handfuls of grey dust every year. Burn good dry wood in a good stove and you should not have any problems.

Edited by Walker570

have your insurance company insisted on it paul ?. ive heard many times that insurance companies are forcing log burner users to have certs to say that the chimneys are being swept , but , my home insurance company weren't particularly interested , they just said that its good practice to do it every year , i do my own at least twice per burning season and they were more than happy with that.

Good point Mel, to be honest i haven't contacted them as i was under the impression that this should now be done by a registered company....

I have contacted a local person and await his reply, i hope you and the good lady are well sir ?

Good point Mel, to be honest i haven't contacted them as i was under the impression that this should now be done by a registered company....

I have contacted a local person and await his reply, i hope you and the good lady are well sir ?

all good here thanks paul , i hope alls well with you mate.

id had quite a few people tell me that insurance companies were insisting that you had certs , and / or that liners were fitted , it turned out that it may not always be the case mate . its certainly worth asking , and its still good advice to make sure that you chimney is swept regularly.

some of the sweeps around here charge...£90.........!............the reason is there have been a lot of incomers trying to be clever....and claiming that there Wilton wool carpets have been messed....and want them replaced............and they persue the claims relentlessly.............so as a result the insurance goes up....et voila.............stupid really.....

the same is for boiler serviceman...............when my mate goes in to service a boiler at one of these peoples houses ...he puts on a white paper suit...shoe covers......takes half a dozen pics of the carpet ..............gets the customer to sign a soft furnishings inspection report....................

but hey....this is the world we live in now..?