Common sense

Mungler

Quite regularly now, when I watch the News I hear my late Grandmother's voice in my head - she was part of that generation that made it through WW2; hard as nails, full of love and 100% practical and brimming with common sense.

I'm sure lots of people my age and above were also lucky enough to have someone like that in their lives and will relate.

So, two news items yesterday that set her voice off in my head:

1. The outcry over the police officers called on a 999 to a mosque and who didn't take their shoes off first. I should add the BBC report kept referencing 'shoes' although I don't know any Bobbys who wear slip ons, all the police I know have some sort of 20+ hole lace up boots; and,

2. The lone female kayaker who was murdered in the isolated borders of Peru controlled by drug traffickers and pirates.

Needless to say the BBC went into full handwringing mode on both news items.

There's no point getting all Daily Mail over it, but I do wonder if the world's gone mad.

Edited by Mungler

very sensible post......................there has been a break in communication............kids brought up in that environment took on those attributes....but somehow the circle is broken now...as a result of "peoples rights"....."do gooders"...."god jockeys"...."left wing pressure groups"...."LGFT power groups"...."human rights act".........god the list is endless..

the usual answer in my day to.....depression (so called)....being naughty...cheeky....late....stupid...lazy.........................

..........was a kick up the backside or a damn good clip round the ear........really focussed the mind that did........

People now live in a make believe alternative world, the kids all brainwashed into expecting to be "celebrities" pop stars or professional sportspersons (tut! See PC is everywhere!) they live their lives and communicate through social media, rather than face to face, we have lost our connection to nature and the countryside which through various pressure groups is fast becoming a sanitised theme park, everyone seems to have expectations in life that only a few can attain, we are controlled, regulated and monitored by the authorities, to the enth degree, disappointment and depression is endemic...........people can't cope with constant pressure, failure and disappointment.....welcome to a modern Orwellian world of instability and growing mental illness!

It is in the interests of government i.e. the establishment that confusion reigns. Stupid is compliant. If everyone woke up one morning with clarity, vision and common sense there would be a revolution. Therefore we are brainwashed into believing the absurd is normal.

But every so often; like sunshine breaking through cloud, there is a fleeting moment of common sense. Brexit was one such moment. Albeit driven by the more mature voter who is more likely to see things for what they are.

It is in the interests of government i.e. the establishment that confusion reigns. Stupid is compliant. If everyone woke up one morning with clarity, vision and common sense there would be a revolution. Therefore we are brainwashed into believing the absurd is normal.

But every so often; like sunshine breaking through cloud, there is a fleeting moment of common sense. Brexit was one such moment. Albeit driven by the more mature voter who is more likely to see things for what they are.

hah ! ...well said... :good:

The Police taking their footwear off is a complete joke. Imagine Firemen taking their boots off before entering a burning mosque, to rescue people.

If these idiots don't want emergency help, in the UK format, then don't ring 999.

The kayaker - whilst I would not wish death on her, her stupidity almost demanded an unhappy ending.

I have said before - it's about time there was an offence of "criminal stupidity"

Edited by Gordon R

GordonR

We don't always see 'eye to eye' but your post is on the money.

Seems too many incidences of stupidity that people then expect the 'State' to pick up the pieces.

Same with the RyanAir situation- some claiming their lives are ruined, of course it's an inconvenience that some people are stranded- however, if the procedure for claiming is followed correctly then you should not be out of pocket.

There is even legislation in place to protect an Employee from being penalised in not being able to be back at their place of work.

The Police taking their footwear off is a complete joke. Imagine Firemen taking their boots off before entering a burning mosque, to rescue people.

If these idiots don't want emergency help, in the UK format, then don't ring 999.

The kayaker - whilst I would not wish death on her, her stupidity almost demanded an unhappy ending.

I have said before - it's about time there was an offence of "criminal stupidity"

Almost there; just need to add, 'or to themself' in addition to, 'others' for criminal recklessness.

As an employee taking your shoes off when requested or on own doing is outside of virtually all risk policy i can think of. I work i peoples houses and it is a common request to be asked to remove footwear. I kindly inform them that i cannot as risk and uniform policy is the highest priority and common sense. What happens when you step on a drawing pin, dog bites yer foot, you slip on the floor or step on a used needle. Employer wont cover you and possibly face disciplinary for working outside of policy.

Couldn't agree more Mungler, only my grandmother would have said poor girl but she brought it on herself. Going into that part of the world alone full of bad men.

And as for the other item police boots and Mosque my grandmother was not one for political correctness, don't think many were of that generation after living through war and loss.

The news lately is not really news anymore. It's like they have a slot to fill and will fill it with anything or make something up. Just finish the news after the real news topics are done.

Can anybody name a TV “news” programme that contains more than a miniscule amount of factual reporting?

The majority of the broadcast time is spent on what purports to be “commentary”, but is often barely-disguised political campaigning.

Someone said last week that as a nation we are now obsessed with religion, race, disability and gender and that if you took these issues out of the news you would be left with just the weather.

I think if you added "politics" into that list then that statement would be entirely factual.

Seriously though, watch the news or any current affairs-esque program and check off "religion, race, disability and gender" and you'll be frightened.

Someone said last week that as a nation we are now obsessed with religion, race, disability and gender and that if you took these issues out of the news you would be left with just the weather.

I think if you added "politics" into that list then that statement would be entirely factual.

Seriously though, watch the news or any current affairs-esque program and check off "religion, race, disability and gender" and you'll be frightened.

Not to mention bloody cooking. :ninja:

There is no news just a bunch of P.C jobsworth sat around a table spouting their opinion on the "events" they must comment on .As you say Mungler my very un P.c ex miner ex WW2 veteran grandad would have been beeped out when he stated what he thought of these self serving ,self promoting pillocks and probably been arrested for telling the truth as it would offend half the "liberal" elite

Can anybody name a TV “news” programme that contains more than a miniscule amount of factual reporting?

The majority of the broadcast time is spent on what purports to be “commentary”, but is often barely-disguised political campaigning.

Don't forget the subtle advertising and event promotion even on the BBC