"im mainly doing HW77 fettle"

ditchman

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have looked all over the net to see if this is a factory made mod....it appears not....also the 77 is shooting at the legal limit and is very quiet.....the spring is not standard...and i think it has an extended top hat...which leads me to believe it has been turned a long while ago and someone hyas prent a fair bit of money on it..............

post-11401-0-83067000-1505924532_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-36304300-1505924547_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-60654800-1505924556_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-31636900-1505924573_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-21893000-1505924586_thumb.jpg

got it all clean.....bit the bullet and used a bit of very fine wet and dry with petrol to get the rust off......not fussed with the loss of bluing ....as i know all the internals are top job....so until i try it and zero it i wont be taking this one apart ...............yet .!

so i put it all back together........it ...the whole gun is very well made and finished off ...unlike the old BSA's....it is heavy...."am i bovered"..."naaww"...

so when i get some time i will zero it and post up the results....

post-11401-0-04146800-1505925261_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-54576800-1505925270_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-62531400-1505925298_thumb.jpg

Maybe teaching grannie to suck eggs.......but have you tried cabinet makers 0000 wirewool dipped in oil? It should remove those surface rust scabs without ruining the blueing!

first thing i tried.....the trouble was the rust had "bubbled" and was far to hard to take off with wire wool......so i had to flat it off with the emery paper and petrol............if this shoots as well as i hope...i will get it reblued....most of my guns are all looking faded...the colour has gone etc....but they all function 100%...and i always wipe them down with a oily rag from a jam jar................................

,.......i lent out my webley 410 to someone just after it had a London blue done on it after 45years of use...................it came back with a scratch from some barbed wire on it.........i didnt say anything .....i was pig sick about it...thats why i like oiled stocks....they can take the stick and still look good....

This is going to be a great thread especially with your attention to detail.

im no gunsmith and that is a fact....most people on here regards guns they have forgotton more than i will ever know...........i just like "things " to function as they should do....all i do is remove burrs ...hone ...polish...clean....use the right lube....make little adjustments....butcher bits of wood...................

as i have said before im no different from any of you......its just that ive have years of fiddling about............a tinkerer...

Good progress already, will look splendid when finished.

I really admire the old HW models, though they are quite heavy. Owned a .22cal HW80 for rabbit control, and had to set a bag limit of five, otherwise the weight of carcases plus air rifle became too much to haul across the hills. (“Very flat, Norfolk”, so hills might not be a problem for ditchman). Mine had the 20” barrel and a P-H silencer, which I removed because it made the whole outfit rather unwieldy.

sooooo out with the 77 to test fire before i start stripping it.............before i took it out i pulled thro' a few jags soaked in petrol followed by some fine wire wool twice....there was some muck come out...

off to the field ...slapped up a target at 15m and fired aimlessly at it to prepare the barrell and to adjust the scope....got it near enough after 10 shots..

the out with a fresh target paper...black spot as focuss point...today was not about finding the 2 zeros but about finding if it can group

7 shots with 16gn AA....group about size of a 2pence coin......thought i would then try a lighter pellet so changed to Superdome 14.5 gn...6 shots...a tighter group..it likes the lighter pellet and the barrell was getting better....

"ah heck"...put it out to 30m................you can see fall of shot and where i adjusted MOA...then 3...4...5...6..it started to print...it pulled a group out smaller than a 5pence coin.....well chuffed...

and the target was moving a bit in the strong wind.....

conclusion

• heavy gun..(truck gun)
  • very quiet with this heavy mod' on
  • well balanced
  • small recoil
  • very forgiving on how you hold it
  • prefere's lighter pellet
  • bloody accurate for a 30 odd years old springer
  • i will be able to tighten the groups even more ...defo'
  • will be easy to make 1 hole groups

very very impressed so far....

post-11401-0-47033600-1506013104_thumb.jpg