Webley Vulcan worth the effort???

JD140

I have a Webley Vulcan which has been sat (unused) in my cabinet for 30 years. As a lad I think I tried putting a souped up spring in it and it always sounded a bit tinny after that. My question is, is it worth spending the money to do it up?

Mainly I shoot shotguns but the wife has a problem with pigeons on her raised beds at the moment. The beds are in my paddock but just behind them is a small road, not ideal for the shotgun!!! If I renovated the Webley are they classed as a good old air rifle or a bit of an also-ran? Also, would it be powerful enough to deal with pigeons at 30 yards??

It should be ok but I would still worry about shooting towards a road even with "just" an air rifle. I believe shotgun pellets are allowed to cross boundaries, airgun pellets aren't.

Apart from that I would consider the GL. Are neighbours likely to kick up a fuss about you shooting the pigeons? For a few raised beds I would be looking at netting or some kind of bird scarer as a first option, if that doesn't work then go ahead and try the air rifle if it's up to the task and you have a suitable backstop.

It should be ok but I would still worry about shooting towards a road even with "just" an air rifle. I believe shotgun pellets are allowed to cross boundaries, airgun pellets aren't.

Apart from that I would consider the GL. Are neighbours likely to kick up a fuss about you shooting the pigeons? For a few raised beds I would be looking at netting or some kind of bird scarer as a first option, if that doesn't work then go ahead and try the air rifle if it's up to the task and you have a suitable backstop.

Thanks for the reply.

My question was more about f the Webley was worth doing up? Seem to remember it was quite a decent gun when new!!

Total out of date junk the Vulcan

If you like, send it to me for scrapping, or I can give it to ny mate as he wanted a new anchor for his boat.

Cracking gun the Vulcan

Got about 6....different models & states of repair.

Stick at it!

Can you recommend where to get the kit for renovating, new spring, seals, blueing etc? I am fancying an Airarms Prosport, do you know of a good scope to go with it? I've not been into air guns since being a lad and would like to dispose of some local pigeons with one!

Edited by JD140

Can you recommend where to get the kit for renovating, new spring, seals, blueing etc? I am fancying an Airarms Prosport, do you know of a good scope to go with it? I've not been into air guns since being a lad and would like to dispose of some local pigeons with one!

Google Tinbum tuning, he'll be able to help with most of it, Chambers or Knibbs for the rest. If you go for a Prosport be prepared for the weight! Heavy but very nice to use, they shoot well off padded sticks, I use mine for decoying and static rabbit shooting, very accurate and quiet. Don't go for big high mag scopes, not needed. I use an MTC mamba lite 3-12x44 but never go above 10 mag. In reality a 6x42 or even something like a 2-7x32 would be ideal.

My how the old "Rose tinted specs" cloud peoples memories....the Vulcan was pants from day one and ,despite improvements, could never match the far better German guns of it's era.

True bruno, I've still got my 1979 mk1 Vulcan and when I dig it out every now and again, I wonder how I ever shot so much stuff with it. Had it from new. It's .177 and quite harsh to shoot. Well up on power though, the nostalgia lasts for ten minutes, then it goes away again for another couple of years. It's a scope killer as well, could never hold zero for long back in the day. I think the .22 vulcans were smoother to shoot than the .177's though if I remember right.

Tend to agree, Rinfireboy, the .22 was sweeter than the .177 but still rough around the edges for Webley's top gun. When you put your mind to it, despite being a well respected Gunmaker, it's hard to remember a "stand out" Airgun from this stable. Pretty much typical of many British manufacturers who rested on their laurels after years of enjoying a virtual monopoly then totally failed to reinvest and modernise their products when the competition came knocking. Against such guns as the hw80 and FWB sport, just to mention 2, guns such as the Vulcan were doomed.

Now the fwb sport in .177 was a tack driver,I just didn't like the one I had. Never got on with the HW80 mates raved about owning. My Vulcan bought in 1988 was for me a cracking gun that took lots of rabbits and pigeons. Getting the right pellet gave decent accuracy,more than enough to hunt with.

Nowadays with modern barrels and pcp we look on the older guns as carp but they can still do the job. A short stroke kit or gas ram would be my choice if I was doing up a Vulcan.

Just a quick update.

I've stripped the Vulcan down, given all the internals a good clean and polish (oil and grease where needed), changed the piston and breach seal and fitted a new trigger spring. It's now shooting fine (IMO) and after cleaning it up I'd say it is in very good condition for its age. The stock only has a few tiny marks, the barrel and action had very minor surface rust which I've wire wooled and oiled and now looks fine, no need to re-blue and it is shooting great.

My next question is this. I'm set on buying a .177 Weihrauch HW100KT, which from my gunshot for the gun, a decent Hawk sight, re-fill bottle (with valve) and a slip is slightly under £1k. Now I already have three shotguns and would have no use for more than one air rifle, so how much should I ask for the Vulcan; a) as a trade in against the Weihrauch, and b) for a private sale? The Vulcan just has its standard sights, no telescopic sight.

Edited by JD140