BSA Scorpion SE

Evergreen

Going to purchase my first PCP and have really fallen in love with this rifle. I know and fully understand that s410 is most people's choice but the Scorpion has one me over with it's looks and the 10 shot magazine that does not stand so high up on the rails like the s410.

Now beauty is second to performance and accuracy BUT is the BSA Scorpion SE really that bad? I do understand that most people love Air Arms and are devoted to the brand but surely BSA ain't no 4th world manufacturing company?

I will be using the rifle mostly for hunting rabbits, squirrels and feather. Also target shooting just for practice at the local rifle range, no serious HFT only to get use to my rifle and scope.

I know this is a "opening a can of worms" debate but I just want to buy an air rifle that will last and perform with good care.

Any advice or if any fellow air gunners use the BSA Scorpion SE for hunting then how has it been?

Cheers

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bsa scorpion is a fantastic rifle .I have had my .177 se for 5 years .It's been so acurate and reliable that I converted it to fac and put it on my ticket .it now runs at 16 fpe and is a bunny bashing machine .

I also feel that the 15 inch .177 barrel is the best length in terms of accuracy over the 12 inch version

Or at least we have had less fussy 15 inch versions .

I also think the action and loading if far better than a airarms and they are easy to work on with a massive following and aftermarket parts and mods .

A bsa scorpion is a fantastic rifle .I have had my .177 se for 5 years .It's been so acurate and reliable that I converted it to fac and put it on my ticket .it now runs at 16 fpe and is a bunny bashing machine .

I also feel that the 15 inch .177 barrel is the best length in terms of accuracy over the 12 inch version

Or at least we have had less fussy 15 inch versions .

I also think the action and loading if far better than a airarms and they are easy to work on with a massive following and aftermarket parts and mods .

Was thinking of .22 but honestly swaying towards .177 now. Yes the moment I saw the Scorpion I was fascinated with it looks and allround mechanics so to speak, cheers pal.

I also have the Scorpion SE in .177 and it is my long range bunny basher. Very accurate and great value for money. Not as pretty as AA but it gets the job done.

If I may ask with the .177 did you choose that for the pin point accuracy factor, trajectory? Cause that will be my next important choice, calibre size.

Ok I have .22 Ultra SE and .177 Scorpion SE. The Scorpion is better because of the higher shot count and the 2 models are almost the same so why have a lower shot count?

Calibre

.22 still good out to 55 yards and good for anything. Better than .177 for closer ranges bcos inside 30 yards the .177 tends to go straight through which can be an issue near buildings. However, .177 gives you longer range and flatter flight which helps in the field. So the .22 (zero at 25y) is my all-rounder, but the .177 (zero at 35y) specifically when I need the longer range which really helps with twitchy bunnies.

I Too have the scorpion Se tactical. Mine is .22 , and has a regulator fitted.

Its secondhand at least five years old , never misses a beat,and is more accurate than I am.

Using Falcon 13.4g pellets it gives 11.2 ft/lb (616ft/p/second), and a reasonable trajectory.

Optimised zero through 'Chairgun'.

I have two other far more expensive guns, which offer no significant advantage over the Se. Including a FAC.

I use mine for Rabbits ,Squirrels and corvids, but i like to be within 40yds ,because that's my

limitation,on accuracy not the rifles.

The Scorpion is probably the best 'All rounder'BSA produce.

I've got a scorpion SE in .177, it's a very very good gun. If you're going for pest control then it's more than enough, it'll give 75 shots easy on one fill. I've fitted a blast tamer and filled the air reservior with drinking straws to keep the action noise down, other than that it's perfect.

Edited by Pistol p

So I'm a dedicated AA fan and would rather have the S410 any day, however, a while back I bought a single shot Scorpion cos the deal was too good to turn down and I was really surprised by the performance of this little gem - if AA were to ever stop making guns then I think the Scorpion would be on the shopping list.

With close range stuff in barns etc just use a hollow nose / segmented head or flat head pellet, Accuracy is generally okay with them at closer ranges and should slow up more transferring energy into the quarry so either wont exit or wont have so much retained energy on exit !

.177 is my prefferd choice for my hunting and HFT.

ATB

Matt

But the big question is still unresolved! .22 or .177?

I was hoping to avoid that pal lol, but obviously it's a decision I must make so these are my thoughts.

So eventually after feeling confident at the target range I hopefully get a permission, if any but I head down to stalk some rabbits.

.177 flat trajectory up to 40 yards for clean kill.

.22 after say 35 yards I have to make some calculations and anything less than 35 yards I should be fine which is the recommended distance to kill rabbits.

I am not saying I am correct on the above but just what I've read and thought about.

I like the fact that I could shoot further with a flat trajectory with the .177 but if stalking rabbits within 35 yards for the shot is recommended then the .22 after getting to learn my rifle and scope I might say .22 all the way.

And no pass through on close distances like the .177.

BUT and yes there is a BUT, I do prefer a flat trajectory that will allow me to kill and further distances.

So now I am back to square one, lol.

With close range stuff in barns etc just use a hollow nose / segmented head or flat head pellet, Accuracy is generally okay with them at closer ranges and should slow up more transferring energy into the quarry so either wont exit or wont have so much retained energy on exit !

.177 is my prefferd choice for my hunting and HFT.

ATB

Matt

Ok mate that sounds promising, no pass through. Yes I would definitely prefer to have accuracy on my side when killing any animal. Obviously I would need practice to build up to feeling confident on the hunting field and that's why the .177 still sticks in the back of my mind.

Clean kill is my main priority

If your main quarry is rabbits then go for .177, zero it at 30 or 35 yards and you are set to go. Limiting yourself to 35 yards is fine in theory but you will find that you cant get close enough sometimes so 45y or even 50y becomes necessary. Once you get to know your rifle the Scorpion can make those ranges.

Not having to think about mildots inside 40y in the heat of the moment is another plus point for the .177. Esp when the light is fading.

But then we move on to the nv discussion...lol...

17HMR is a bad example because it disintegrates on impact and uses kinetic energy to unzip the bunny.

Ultra you lost me on your last post too. You have to very close for a .22 pass through a rabbit's head. Sub 12ftlb right?

Have a look into general shooting external ballistics. In every case a slower and heavier projectile penetrates more than a lighter faster one why would an airgun pellet be any different ?

Actually the .17 hmr v .22 lr isnt a bad example .

The .17 penetrates very little compared to the .22 .

But carries 2.5 times the energy and 2.5 times the speed

But penetrates 1/4 The distance .

Just proving that speed and head size arent major players in penetration depth .

Have a look into general shooting external ballistics. In every case a slower and heavier projectile penetrates more than a lighter faster one why would an airgun pellet be any different ?

Actually the .17 hmr v .22 lr isnt a bad example .

The .17 penetrates very little compared to the .22 .

But carries 2.5 times the energy and 2.5 times the speed

But penetrates 1/4 The distance .

Just proving that speed and head size arent major players in penetration depth .

Can't get my head round that bit Stu :hmm:

If your main quarry is rabbits then go for .177, zero it at 30 or 35 yards and you are set to go. Limiting yourself to 35 yards is fine in theory but you will find that you cant get close enough sometimes so 45y or even 50y becomes necessary. Once you get to know your rifle the Scorpion can make those ranges.

Not having to think about mildots inside 40y in the heat of the moment is another plus point for the .177. Esp when the light is fading.

But then we move on to the nv discussion...lol...

What he said :good: