BSA Scorpion SE

Evergreen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I say shallow wound channel its all relative .The . 22 falcon has a Bc of around 0.027 compared to say a 16 grn jsb of about 0.032 .and an accupell of about 0.028

But the fragile nature of the falcon (13.4 grns and hollow skirt ,short ,and soft lead .means it will deform more than the accupel .which is a lot more solid in construction and is made of harder lead compound (more antimony )

This means that when it hits quarry it will stop faster than the other 2 pellets dumping more of its energy .this is good as basically all round head pellets in .22 over penetrate anyway passing through heads and often body's. By comparison an 8.4 grn .177 pellet hitting the same medium will penetrate only around 75 % of the way of the .22 .

The falcon will penetrate plenty far enough on all your body shots out to 45 yds trust me .

Ps they also give excellent accuracy .

You know this is going to be a can of worms come tomorrow but informative, I'm still using.22 accupells I bought ten tins many moons ago and think I'm down to two tins left now, hope there the same when I come to buy more??

Shooting in the garden I often find on head shot squirrels I get two holes so the pellet has passed through, I cant imagine a problem with body shots with these pellets so long as you keep the range sensible.

Cast and then machined pellets?? The cost would surely be horrendous? Pellets are normally made by turning lead into wire - this is then cut to a precise length and (sometimes) swaged into a ball - whatever shape is decided on then goes to a swaging machine that normally has about 10 dies (all of which can be slightly different by a few microns) - the "pellets" are then positioned into said holes and swaged (pressed) into shape - simples. Top end pellets are then separated by weight and batched. As for adding oil, AFAIK no advantages whatsoever have been proven to such a treatment - might help prevent "corrosion" but this normally only occurs after considerable time.

Snoozer they are cast and then machined and then lubricated with Napier lube as are all Crossman / Webley pellets they don't mess about and I am looking forward to your assessment of them. What are you going after with them ?

Hopefully Bunnies and or Flying Rats.

Soon as i get some results i'll post em up but may be a while yet lol

• 4 weeks later...

In my very limited experience; I have noted the following;

A. .177 AA Diablo 8.4g shot from a sub 12ft/lb (HW110)PCP seems to over penetrate quarry at 25 mtrs. (ie pass throughs)

B. A.22 Falcon    13.4 g shot from a regulated BSA Scorpion , seems to stay within the quarry , penetrating less.

This is also the case when tried on a OX Heart. from the same distance. same conditions. 

Also,   A 5/16" Diameter  Cedar shaft Arrow shot from a 43lb draw weight Recurve Bow , Penetrated the target, (a foam boss), nearly an inch

further than an 11/32 " Diameter shaft arrow shot from the same bow .!

An 8mm diameter ball bearing, also penetrates a melon much deeper than a 10mm ball shot from the same slingshot.

So in conclusion , I would guess the impact resistance (friction generated by impact)  has a great deal of influence upon penetration.

Interesting testing though.

• 1 year later...
On 21/09/2017 at 23:13, Pistol p said:

I've got a scorpion SE in .177, it's a very very good gun. If you're going for pest control then it's more than enough, it'll give 75 shots easy on one fill. I've fitted a blast tamer and filled the air reservior with drinking straws to keep the action noise down, other than that it's perfect.

Hi how do you fit the blast tamer do you cock gun first the fit it should the spring on the tamer be stretched or compressed before pulling the trigger kind regards