Armed police office shoots himself!

panoma1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The police are supervised during training.

I was asking about the ranges and competitions you go on, i honestly thought they were all supervised as the couple i have seen have always had guys in a hi viz dotted around behind the shooters, i just assumed they were supervisors of some sort and were always walking up and down waving and the such. maybe it was a policy specific to the one i saw

There once was a plethora of competitions civilians could undertake while moving with a loaded firearm.

Admittedly PP1 and 2 type comp's were mostly static but we did quite a lot of Practical pistol comps which we made up ourselves.

All firearms were proved safe before leaving the firing point and no training other than that passed on from one to another.

I'm assuming practical shotgun comps are similar?

I was asking about the ranges and competitions you go on, i honestly thought they were all supervised as the couple i have seen have always had guys in a hi viz dotted around behind the shooters, i just assumed they were supervisors of some sort and were always walking up and down waving and the such. maybe it was a policy specific to the one i saw

Yes their would be a range officer during competitions. PS To be clear i am not police bashing, i think all police should be armed. That does not mean they can not be criticised when they get it wrong.

Edited by ordnance

Yes their would be a range officer during competitions. PS To be clear i am not police bashing, i think all police should be armed. That does not mean they can not be criticised when they get it wrong.

No issue with that but I've yet to ever see you mention a positive thing about police, I don't really understand the significance of this thread, it would appear from the very limited information we have that a police officer has totally screwed up, they're not robots, does that really surprise Anyone?

There once was a plethora of competitions civilians could undertake while moving with a loaded firearm.

Admittedly PP1 and 2 type comp's were mostly static but we did quite a lot of Practical pistol comps which we made up ourselves.

All firearms were proved safe before leaving the firing point and no training other than that passed on from one to another.

I'm assuming practical shotgun comps are similar?

Its mostly IPSC / Practical pistol etc here.

Northern Ireland Target Sports Association: NITSA

www.nitsa.org.uk/

Edited by ordnance

Ah that explains it then, i assume they would control the start and finish of the competition and watch out for anything amis

No issue with that but I've yet to ever see you mention a positive thing about police, I don't really understand the significance of this thread, it would appear from the very limited information we have that a police officer has totally screwed up, they're not robots, does that really surprise Anyone?

I think the police do a great service to the public in the UK, and are undoubtedly among of the best forces in the world.

Do you extend that sentiment to include armed police on UK mainland to?

Yes all UK police. That does not mean they can not be criticised when they get it wrong.

It happens here as well. It is important that incidents are looked at and lessons learned.

Training shake-up after PSNI officer shoots herself in leg ...

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk › News › Northern Ireland

Edited by ordnance

Not always on a one to one basis and I'm sure you don't fire live rounds past each other on civilian ranges, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

What training do police do that they are firing live rounds past each other. ? There are different levels of training some do a few weeks basic training before carrying firearms and will not be firing bullets past each other.

The total cost of the 2 week initial firearm course is £ 582.94. The total cost of the 3 week standard driving course is £663.29.
Edited by ordnance

What training do police do that they are firing live rounds past each other. ? There are different levels of training some do a few weeks basic training before carrying firearms and will not be firing bullets past each other.

CTSFO will certainly conduct live fire training and even standard AFO firearms course is I believe at least 8 weeks training and costs thousands.

CTSFO will certainly conduct live fire training and even standard AFO firearms course is I believe at least 8 weeks training and costs thousands.

I was talking more about here, there are Armed Response, and armed officers that receive different levels of training. As i said i think all officers should be armed they do don't all need to be trained to the same level. One reason given for not arming all officers is cost but the training is no more expensive than a driving course.

The total cost of the 2 week initial firearm course is £ 582.94. The total cost of the 3 week standard driving course is £663.29.
Edited by ordnance

Arv courses now nine weeks...

Not all shooting is static.

I for one engaged in drills moving up and down the range including stoppage drills where a second officer would be stood over your head whilst you were kneeling.

As for driving courses.... 5 week standard and four week advanced...

A week for Tpac.....

As for nds.... and loosing things.

Shouldnt happen but it does... officers are human.

The same could be said of any industry.... the doctor or nurse with a needle stick injury. The engineer or farmer trapped in machinery. The pilot with a missed item on a checklist. The postman mis delivering the wrong mail. The shop assistant giving the wrong change.

All different in terms of scale but each a momentary lapse in concentration/ distraction...

Police officers are not robots