weres all the duck?

Gerry78

Shooting lough in n ireland season hasent been great so far two outings not one duck i know its early till the wigeon come in oct/nov just wanted to see how any other fowlers getting on around the UK I would normally get some mallard and teal but the weather over here hasent been great fowling weather so far The lough i hunt the water level been very high so duck plenty of slashes to go to

Mallard around here are becoming an endanger species with the commercial flight ponds drawing virtually all the local duck population , so until the migrant duck start getting here in any numbers wildfowling is more or less put on hold.

Pinkfeet started to arrive last week , bang on schedule and they are already well into four figures and by this time next week we should have several thousand .

So we will have something to go after and it is nice to get the first one in the bag , but you can only eat so many and there is more to fowling than just shooting geese ,

On Holliday July on the north broads there were loads of mallard around. Do these then flight into the estate ponds ?

There are large and small flight ponds springing up all over the place , one small one near me that was dug out with the farms load all is shot about 4 times a year , roughly once a month and each time the bag is around 40 head , mainly Mallard with a few Teal later on in the season .

Whereas there is a huge one a couple of miles from the top end of the estuary , when I say huge , there are a number of large one situated at different angles to allow for wind direction . these ones are shot fairly regularly for commercial use .

Then on a much smaller scale the splashes are fed on the marshes once the cattle are off , but the shooting make very little difference as more water lay about the more natural food is available which the duck prefer from grain

When you say there were a lot of Mallard on the Broads , I don't think we will ever see the numbers that were about in the past , have a look in the book The King In His Country where they gave an account of a mornings flight on Cockshoot Broad and Ransworth Broad in 1937 / 38 where they were shooting wild duck coming off the sea , the king himself shot 179 duck and the final pick up was 499 and 1 various , all the guns were off by mid morning to allow for the amount of picking up and let the rest of the duckcome back in peace , the owner , Henry Cator said if they had shot till 12 o clock the bag would have been 800 or possibly more .

Both Broads are now totally free from shooting and I believe are run by the N W T .