Strong swimmers?

Lloyd90

Recently have been shooting the foreshore on the Severn river, a short while further South of the Severn Bridge on the Bristol side.

Now a few times we have dropped ducks and been able to retrieve but this would be much easier with a dog.

However, my mate reckons the current would be too strong and the dog would knacker itself and end up drowned.

Obviously no shooter would ever want this to happen.

So my question is, how do you know what a dog would be capable of?

Recently have been shooting the foreshore on the Severn river, a short while further South of the Severn Bridge on the Bristol side.

Now a few times we have dropped ducks and been able to retrieve but this would be much easier with a dog.

However, my mate reckons the current would be too strong and the dog would knacker itself and end up drowned.

Obviously no shooter would ever want this to happen.

So my question is, how do you know what a dog would be capable of?

It's impossible to say definitely what any individual dog is capable of. I've known dogs to use a current to their advantage others to swim against it.

What is important to remember is that a Labrador or chesapeake would have been bred to perform that task and would likely suffice if properly trained, fit and healthy.

It's unusual to find a 'fowler without a dog, usually a lab, it's probably fair to assume your chosen area is shot by others, what are they doing to retrieve their quarry?

Edited by wj939

It's impossible to say definitely what any individual dog is capable of. I've known dogs to use a current to their advantage others to swim against it.

What is important to remember is that a Labrador or chesapeake would have been bred to perform that task and would likely suffice if properly trained, fit and healthy.

It's unusual to find a 'fowler without a dog, usually a lab, it's probably fair to assume your chosen area is shot by others, what are they doing to retrieve their quarry?

Whilst the club has had the club for many years it's not been heavily shot.

They're got some keen new members (me included) and we're getting down there a bit now.

As we are normally placed either side of an inlet the birds shot often land on the bank either side so you can just walk over and pick them up.

Was going to say the same as wj above, ask the boys already using dogs there.

I know 1 lad with a CB, he says he'd never go back to a lab for its swimming ability is different class, but it has major question marks over its temperament and even he can hardly get a goose of it until it wants to give it up. Doesn't really play nicely with other dogs either.

Its amazing wot properly breed labs can swim in and the cold they can put up with, and easier trained too and play nicer with others if u do any other types of shooting.

Is thee not a famous CB breeder in about Bristol/ s wales type area??

Can you not use a small boat or dinghy with a outboard to retrieve shot birds ? Some dogs are very good swimmers but it only takes the dog to inhale a bit of water and it struggles. My dog wears a neoprene chest protector vest with small foam float inserts, he has been a good swimmer from being a puppy but I don't want to risk a chest cut with ice on our marsh as he throws himself in.

I have 3 Chessies and they could cross the channel. One crossed my local river in a 4' spate and it is some 50y wide and there was a 3' swell in the centre.

There very impressive dogs and incredibly powerful animals

Customer has a few and I've been tempted a few times to have a pup

However seem to always go back to the golden retriever (swamp collie) more than adequate in the water for my needs

All the best

Of