Strong swimmers?

Lloyd90

Was going to say the same as wj above, ask the boys already using dogs there.

I know 1 lad with a CB, he says he'd never go back to a lab for its swimming ability is different class, but it has major question marks over its temperament and even he can hardly get a goose of it until it wants to give it up. Doesn't really play nicely with other dogs either.

Its amazing wot properly breed labs can swim in and the cold they can put up with, and easier trained too and play nicer with others if u do any other types of shooting.

Is thee not a famous CB breeder in about Bristol/ s wales type area??

Janet morris penrose chesapeakes

http://www.penrose-chesapeakes.co.uk

thats where i bought mine from 2 1/2 yrs ago

he swims in the severn and rivers coming off it

what is the name of your club that has foreshore around aust warth /severn bridge ?

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Dogs generally (!) go with the flow and them swim across it to get back to dry land, so they can come back ashore hundreds of yards from where they set off. A less bright \ experienced hound may try to swim against a strong current and risk tiring itself out, but I have never heard of this happening.

Not that I condone wildfowling without a dog, but I you do I would consider taking a short fishing rod and reel, and a home made grapple light enough to cast easily. This can be used to retrieve dead wildfowl at quite some distance. Nothing worse than having a dead duck floating in the open and not being able to get it (well apart from a wounded duck).

I used to shoot over an area of marshland, inland not coastal. The landowner had some drainage ditches dug by a JCB type machine, the ditches were like small canals, 12 feet wide with smooth 45 degree sloping sides and when full about 6-8 feet deep in places.

My black Lab was a strong swimmer and during his occasional temporary 'I'm ignoring you' deaf periods, would delight in sliding down the banks into the water.

One freezing November day he did just that, down the bank and through the thin ice crust. To my horror within a minute or two he was struggling, seemingly almost upright in the water, front legs splashing with just his head and neck above water.

What do they say? Don't attempt to save a drowning dog...Ha! not easy. In desperation I used a sheath knife to make shallow 'footholds' down the slippery bank knowing that if I went into the water with boots and winter gear on I would not get out. I managed to grab his collar just as he swallowed a lot of water. Sticking the knife into the sloping bank I heaved with all my strength and he came to the waters edge. It was then I saw that both his hind feet were trapped in the slotted sides of an orange plastic milk crate...No wonder he couldn't swim! He'd obviously got his feet trapped when he kicked off the bottom after his first mad dive into the water.

Both soaked, covered in mud but alive.

If you do get a dog I'm sure you will make a very careful assessment of just how strong a swimmer he really is, and able to cope with a fast tidal river like the Severn. :good: