Land sales.

Cranfield

In the last couple of years a lot of my shooting land has been changing hands and this week two more large blocks, one 350 acres and the other 480 acres are up for sale.

It has all been owned by Colleges and Trusts and has been tenant farmed, now leases are coming up for renewal the Colleges/Trust want to sell, in all cases so far the tenant farmer has not been able to purchase the land and other farmers from outside the area have moved in.

Some share farming the land with the existing tenants.

The "incomers" have supposedly sold large areas of their own farms which adjoin large towns , for house building and so have cash to spend.

Fortunately, I have not lost any shooting yet.

When these events occur, it just reinforces how much land in the UK is owned by Colleges, Trusts, the Church, other organisations and a few large farmers.

When these events occur, it just reinforces how much land in the UK is owned by Colleges, Trusts, the Church, other organisations and a few large farmers.

In years gone by, it's surprising how many bequeathed land to these organisations and of course past landowners set up trusts for the obvious reasons.

You can also add councils to your list, although like the above,many have now, for the same reasons, sold off their holdings now that the no longer have a legally responsibility to let holdings to farming entrants.

A sign of how cash strapped they all are.

oh have a look at what he has purchased in oxfordshire ? i am sure his son is part of the land empire

True, he seems to be buying a lot of farm land/ farms at the moment. I've been told its for tax reasons, i.e. inheritance.

Now as for the Nuneham park estate thats just sold for 20 odd million to an Aussie mining family, Im not sure what they have in mind but a new oxford eco devlopment as well as the new A/M34 running through it has been mentioned! So a possible future investment or they really like fields and history lol.