Brexit - Merged Threads

panoma1

The Swiss are members of EFTA (European Free Trade Association) and as such have a FTA with the EU.

However they are also members of the Schengen area and the ECHR... neither of which would be acceptable to the British people.

A draft paper prepared by the German foreign ministry sets out Berlins plan for a 'comprehensive free trade accord' with the UK after Brexit (You won't see that reported in the Guardian or on the BBC). The stuff going on behind the scenes is far more an indication of where we'll be in 2019 than the one upmanship and games being played out in Brussels by Barnier and Juncker.

When it comes to the EU, what the Germans want the Germans get!!

Thanks so it's not simple!!!!

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Swiss are members of EFTA (European Free Trade Association) and as such have a FTA with the EU.

However they are also members of the Schengen area and the ECHR... neither of which would be acceptable to the British people.

A draft paper prepared by the German foreign ministry sets out Berlins plan for a 'comprehensive free trade accord' with the UK after Brexit (You won't see that reported in the Guardian or on the BBC). The stuff going on behind the scenes is far more an indication of where we'll be in 2019 than the one upmanship and games being played out in Brussels by Barnier and Juncker.

When it comes to the EU, what the Germans want the Germans get!!

The last line says it all!

Im afraid the Germans have won the war without firing a shot .They have control of the united states of Europe as the only 1,s saying nicht Heine are going to leave.The Germans have top table ,the French do as theyre told until they dont like it then just do what they want knowing no one will challenge them on it.

When the European army is formed ,1 currency,no inner borders,total control by the E.U,council <national goverments neutered>it may seem similar to a previous form of pan european plan by the people in Berlin and that didnt go to well did it :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Theresa May 'Screwed' The UK On Brexit Talks, Says Britain's Former EU Diplomat.

http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-ivan-rogers-article-50_uk_59f0cef9e4b03c73bf349e2c

Theresa May was warned the UK would be screwed in the Brexit negotiations if she triggered Article 50 too early - but did it anyway, according to Britains former EU ambassador.

Theresa May 'Screwed' The UK On Brexit Talks, Says Britain's Former EU Diplomat.

http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-ivan-rogers-article-50_uk_59f0cef9e4b03c73bf349e2c

Is that the same Ivan Rogers who was an ardent supporter of the UK joining the Euro? The same Ivan Rogers who, as an arch remainer, led David Cameron's 'negotiations' of a new deal before the Brexit vote? That went well didn't it. I don't think we should be paying too much attention to Mr Roger's latest ramblings.

I'd put him on a par with the likes of George Osborne and Nick Clegg... bitter, beaten and belittled.

Is that the same Ivan Rogers who was an ardent supporter of the UK joining the Euro? The same Ivan Rogers who, as an arch remainer, led David Cameron's 'negotiations' of a new deal before the Brexit vote? That went well didn't it. I don't think we should be paying too much attention to Mr Roger's latest ramblings.

I'd put him on a par with the likes of George Osborne and Nick Clegg... bitter, beaten and belittled.

😂😂😂brilliant

So May's handling Brexit negotiations to your liking? Edited by Granett

So May's handling Brexit negotiations to your liking?

We don't know how May or her team are handling the Brexit negotiations, or "how they are going" because they are, quite rightly, not going to reveal detail or give us a running commentary. We will all have to wait and see what they come up with!

So May's handling Brexit negotiations to your liking?

Could be a bit tougher for my liking.

But, shes trying to keep everyone happy, which is noble ,but flawed.

The negotiations will eventually break down over the divorce bill unfortunately, but I believe that was the EUs plan all along.

Same for me, the government are being far to reasonable for my liking, the way the EU is acting is akin to spoiled child who's throwing it's toys out of the pram, I wish we'd tell them to get lost, we can than fall back on wto rules and start again, setting our own trade agreements leaving the EU to fall apart on its own

The EU are acting just our Elete have asked them to. They want us to stay in and keep our pants around our ankles so that they can carry on taxing the working classes and enriching themselves.

Meanwhile they carry on purchasing the railways,Nhs, and anything else to draw in as much of our collective wealth as possible.

Why would Brexit champion David Davis be saying that?

I dont know why you keep asking questions granett, when youre not really interested in the answers.

Rest assured, we are leaving though, the 'divorce' bill is the bone of contention here, the EU are, as usual ,extracting the urine.

Why would Brexit champion David Davis be saying that?

Probably because the leaches in power are trying to continue the status quo and he's trying to wake people up to the fact so they cant do it quietly. Just a guess but i expect his hands are tied, we'll have to wait and see as none of us yet know what negotiations are going on behind the scenes.

I really do hope your right scutt, I think the best outcome possible is going to be a no deal, the EU has proved itself to be precisely the type of gangster organisation I always assumed it to be. You can't negotiate with that on equal terms, it will never be happy with a mutually beneficial deal, the EU always wants the better end of the deal and it's especially true now the UK has decided to leave, the EU is obviously trying to punish the UK to deter others from leaving (lovely club eh) if we leave they have no power over us and in time we will forge far better deals on our own.

Brexit exemption sought for Grimsby seafood trade

Industry representatives want free trade for seafood at Grimsby and Immingham ports

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/brexit-exemption-sought-grimsby-seafood-736984

Seafood should be given special free trade status after Brexit to ensure Grimsby’s industry is not damaged, MPs have been told.

Key figures from the wider Lincolnshire food industry were in Westminster last week to provide the Government with their vision for meeting the challenges presented by the UK leaving the European Union.

Grimsby’s seafood processing industry faces a number of Brexit-related issues – from a potential 20 per cent labour shortfall to delays in fresh fish reaching the town’s factories, as well as import fees

Seafood should be given special free trade status after Brexit to ensure Grimsby’s industry is not damaged, MPs have been told.

Key figures from the wider Lincolnshire food industry were in Westminster last week to provide the Government with their vision for meeting the challenges presented by the UK leaving the European Union.

Grimsby’s seafood processing industry faces a number of Brexit-related issues – from a potential 20 per cent labour shortfall to delays in fresh fish reaching the town’s factories, as well as import fees. 

On 22/09/2017 at 15:13, mossy835 said:

if nigel had been there he would have told them to xxxx off.

If I could go there, I would too.

On 22/09/2017 at 15:13, mossy835 said:

if nigel had been there he would have told them to xxxx off.

If I could go there, I would too.

Somethings been nagging at me for a while about the 'divorce' settlement, which seems to be the crux of the so called negotiations.

As Brussels have said trade talks cant move forward until its settled, despite not asking for a specific figure, preferring instead for the UK to put a figure on it (which will be rejected) a payment that will be loudly condemned by leavers and remainers for different reasons.

So if we walk away from trade talks, and fall back on WTO rules, will the EU STILL want a  settlement of however many billions?

If they do, and I think they most definitely will, does that not leave a conundrum...?

We could simply refuse to pay it, and they could refuse to pay all our own EU civil servants pensions ect, leaving us to pay them.. or not.

We dont get a trade 'deal' ,so is the divorce payment really about paying for a trade deal, like Norway does ?

Does the deal expire, or can they raise payments for continuation on a whim ?

The issue is this, they need to come up with a figure,and something to back the figure up, they say pensions and 'commitments' , I say lets see what they are, at least for the UK public to see where the money would be going, instead of the EU black hole.

Or if the money is for a trade deal (which is outrageous) say thats what its for, and stop lying about it.

Most of us will know its for the EU budget shortfall, when their second largest net contributor leaves, so why not be honest about that too?

How can you deal with people who keep posturing and lying ?

As I understand it, the EU haven't had their accounts ratified, ever, consequently they have never had to account for their income and expenditure.....so if there are no ratified accounts, how the hell are they going to know precisely (if anything) how much we owe or they owe us?..........I suspect they are insisting we make them an offer because the ain't got a clue!