Brexit - Merged Threads

panoma1

7 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

As I understand it, the EU haven't had their accounts ratified, ever, consequently they have never had to account for their income and expenditure.....so if there are no ratified accounts, how the hell are they going to know precisely (if anything) how much we owe or they owe us?..........I suspect they are insisting we make them an offer because the ain't got a clue!

Maybe, but I think its more like the market trader mentality of starting high, or getting the punter to 'name his price' knowing full well whatever he picks ,they will be quids in.

Like I said, if all the divorce money is for is to pay pensions and such, lets see the figures and pay our share for our civil servants, or do we have to pay for everyone elses too ?

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Redwood Advises Investors To Take Their Money Out Of The UK

https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2017/11/12/british-lawmaker-advises-investors-to-take-their-money-out-of-the-uk/#3ba369d74c1e

Let me remind you what the consequences of “hard Brexit” would be. According to researchers at the Ku Leuven Center for Economic Studies, the total loss of Gross Value Added in the UK would amount to 4.47% of GDP, and unemployment would rise by over half a million: this research also identifies high costs from hard Brexit for EU countries, particularly Ireland.  John Van Reenen at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology calculates permanent per capita income reduction of 2.61%. The distribution would inevitably be highly uneven, disproportionately hitting the working poor, whose living standards could fall by significantly more.

These figures are shocking. Hard Brexit would mean an immediate deep recession for the UK and permanently lower living standards for many of its citizens.

So the Rt. Hon. John Redwood MP advocated a course of action by the UK government that he knows would seriously damage the UK economy. This is not the only time he has advocated such a course of action: he is a prominent advocate of "hard Brexit", insisting that anything less is not really Brexit

And to protect his job as an investment manager, he warned his wealthy clients to get their money out before the disaster hits.

To me, this smacks of disaster capitalism. Engineer a crash while ensuring your own interests are protected, then clean up when it hits.

I would tell them to swivel for their payments and if they refuse to pay our civil servants pensions ect launch a legal challenge as that would clearly be illegal, the so called exit bill has already been deemed a voluntary payment and has no legal necessity to pay at all. The EU has been milking the UK cash cow for years, we should be asking for money back if anything, what about all the buildings roads and other projects already payed for that will continue to be used for years to come, can we charge rent for them, the UK government is being far to reasonable. Mr Dyson got it right with his assessment of what we should do today.

In a nutshell.

Mr Dave Davis is at the golf club returning his locker key
             when Mr Barnier, the membership secretary sees him.

"Hello Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier. "I'm sorry to hear you
             are no longer renewing your club membership,if you would
             like to come to my office we can settle your account".

"I have settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis.

"Ah yes Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier, "but there are other
             matters that need settlement"

*In Mr Barniers office -*

Mr Davis explains that he has settled his bar bill so
             wonders what else he can possibly owe the Golf Club?

"Well Mr Davis" begins Mr Barnier, "you did agree to buy one
             of our Club Jackets".

"Yes" agrees Mr Davis "I did agree to buy a jacket but I
             haven't received it yet". "As soon as you supply the jacket
             I will send you a cheque for the full amount".

"That will not be possible" explains Mr Barnier. "As you are
             no longer a club member you will not be entitled to buy one
             of our jackets"!

"But you still want me to pay for it" exclaims Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "That will be £500 for the jacket.
             "There is also your bar bill".

"But I've already settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis. "Yes"
             says Mr Barnier, "but as you can appreciate, we need to
             place our orders from the Brewery in advance to ensure our
             bar is properly stocked".. "You regularly used to spend at
             least £50 a week in the bar so we have placed orders with
             the brewery accordingly for the coming year". "You therefore
             owe us £2600 for the year".

"Will you still allow me to have these drinks?" asks Mr
             Davis. "No of course not Mr Davis". "You are no longer a
             club member!" says Mr Barnier.    "Next is your restaurant
             bill" continues Mr Barnier. "In the same manner we have to
             make arrangements in advance with our catering suppliers".
             "Your average restaurant bill was in the order of £300 a
             month, so we'll require payment of £3600 for the next
             year".
               "I don't suppose you'll be letting me have these meals
             either" asks Mr Davis.

"No, of course not" says an irritated Mr
             Barnier, "you are no longer a club member!"

"Then of course" Mr Barnier continues, "there are repairs to
             the clubhouse roof".
             "Clubhouse roof" exclaims Mr Davis, "What's that got to do
             with me?"
             "Well it still needs to be repaired and the builders are
             coming in next week", your share of the bill is £2000".
             "I see" says Mr Davis, "anything else?".
             "Now you mention it" says Mr Barnier, "there is Fred the
             Barman's pension". "We would like you to pay £5 a week
             towards Fred's pension when he retires next month". "He's
             not well you know so I doubt we'll need to ask you for
             payment for longer than about five years, so £1300 should do
             it".

"This brings your total bill to £10,000" says Mr Barnier.

"Let me get this straight" says Mr Davis, "you want me to
             pay £500 for a jacket you won't let me have, £2600 for
             beverages you won't let me drink and £3600 for food you
             won't let me eat, all under a roof I won't be allowed under
             and not served by a bloke who's going to retire next month!"

"Yes, it's all perfectly clear and quite reasonable" says
             Mr Barnier.

"**** off!" says Mr Davis

Now we understand what Brexit is all about!!!!!

5 hours ago, pinfireman said:

In a nutshell.

Mr Dave Davis is at the golf club returning his locker key
             when Mr Barnier, the membership secretary sees him.

"Hello Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier. "I'm sorry to hear you
             are no longer renewing your club membership,if you would
             like to come to my office we can settle your account".

"I have settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis.

"Ah yes Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier, "but there are other
             matters that need settlement"

*In Mr Barniers office -*

Mr Davis explains that he has settled his bar bill so
             wonders what else he can possibly owe the Golf Club?

"Well Mr Davis" begins Mr Barnier, "you did agree to buy one
             of our Club Jackets".

"Yes" agrees Mr Davis "I did agree to buy a jacket but I
             haven't received it yet". "As soon as you supply the jacket
             I will send you a cheque for the full amount".

"That will not be possible" explains Mr Barnier. "As you are
             no longer a club member you will not be entitled to buy one
             of our jackets"!

"But you still want me to pay for it" exclaims Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "That will be £500 for the jacket.
             "There is also your bar bill".

"But I've already settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis. "Yes"
             says Mr Barnier, "but as you can appreciate, we need to
             place our orders from the Brewery in advance to ensure our
             bar is properly stocked".. "You regularly used to spend at
             least £50 a week in the bar so we have placed orders with
             the brewery accordingly for the coming year". "You therefore
             owe us £2600 for the year".

"Will you still allow me to have these drinks?" asks Mr
             Davis. "No of course not Mr Davis". "You are no longer a
             club member!" says Mr Barnier.    "Next is your restaurant
             bill" continues Mr Barnier. "In the same manner we have to
             make arrangements in advance with our catering suppliers".
             "Your average restaurant bill was in the order of £300 a
             month, so we'll require payment of £3600 for the next
             year".
               "I don't suppose you'll be letting me have these meals
             either" asks Mr Davis.

"No, of course not" says an irritated Mr
             Barnier, "you are no longer a club member!"

"Then of course" Mr Barnier continues, "there are repairs to
             the clubhouse roof".
             "Clubhouse roof" exclaims Mr Davis, "What's that got to do
             with me?"
             "Well it still needs to be repaired and the builders are
             coming in next week", your share of the bill is £2000".
             "I see" says Mr Davis, "anything else?".
             "Now you mention it" says Mr Barnier, "there is Fred the
             Barman's pension". "We would like you to pay £5 a week
             towards Fred's pension when he retires next month". "He's
             not well you know so I doubt we'll need to ask you for
             payment for longer than about five years, so £1300 should do
             it".

"This brings your total bill to £10,000" says Mr Barnier.

"Let me get this straight" says Mr Davis, "you want me to
             pay £500 for a jacket you won't let me have, £2600 for
             beverages you won't let me drink and £3600 for food you
             won't let me eat, all under a roof I won't be allowed under
             and not served by a bloke who's going to retire next month!"

"Yes, it's all perfectly clear and quite reasonable" says
             Mr Barnier.

"**** off!" says Mr Davis

Now we understand what Brexit is all about!!!!!

Absaloutly hilarious, or it would be if it wasn't a representntion  of the steaming pile of **** that is the EU negotiations. Fingers crossed for a no deal.

11 minutes ago, Granett said:

Revealed: ‘Fake news’ Twitter account that posted photo of ‘Muslim woman ignoring the Westminster terror attack’ was run from RUSSIA

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5077771/Photo-Muslim-ignoring-Westminster-came-Russia.html

What has a story about the Westminster terror attack got to do with Brexit?

Bizarre. 

1 hour ago, poontang said:

What has a story about the Westminster terror attack got to do with Brexit?

Bizarre. 

Oh, wrong thread.

Funnily enough though... if you read the article:

"Months after the terror attack, the account also tweeted: 'I hope UK after #BrexitVote will start to clean their land from Muslim invasion!' 

Edited by Granett

58 minutes ago, Granett said:

Oh, wrong thread.

Funnily enough though... if you read the article:

"Months after the terror attack, the account also tweeted: 'I hope UK after #BrexitVote will start to clean their land from Muslim invasion!' 

A read of the comments on the article in your link tells the story how it really is.

'Fake news from fake news' is my favorite.

Brexit heartlands want someone else to pay

From Grimsby to Cornwall, Leave areas are pleading for special treatment to soften the pain.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-heartlands-want-someone-else-to-pay-pthzgl35g

"...David Simmons of Riviera Produce, a major supplier of cauliflowers, broccoli and cabbage, said: “If we can’t get access to migrant labour Cornwall will see a dramatic change. The farming industry will collapse. The hospitality industry will collapse.”

He points out that almost 90 per cent of his workforce is European because locals don’t want to get up early to pick vegetables in the cold and the rain, even at £12 to £14 an hour; they prefer office or supermarket jobs. Cornwall’s daffodil farmers, who are among the world’s biggest producers, echo his sentiments; they need hundreds of seasonal workers every year but very few locals apply.

Now the county council has asked the government to give Cornwall an exemption on post-Brexit migration curbs for low-skilled workers."

1 minute ago, Granett said:

From Grimsby to Cornwall, Leave areas are pleading for special treatment to soften the pain.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-heartlands-want-someone-else-to-pay-pthzgl35g

"...David Simmons of Riviera Produce, a major supplier of cauliflowers, broccoli and cabbage, said: “If we can’t get access to migrant labour Cornwall will see a dramatic change. The farming industry will collapse. The hospitality industry will collapse.”

He points out that almost 90 per cent of his workforce is European because locals don’t want to get up early to pick vegetables in the cold and the rain, even at £12 to £14 an hour; they prefer office or supermarket jobs. Cornwall’s daffodil farmers, who are among the world’s biggest producers, echo his sentiments; they need hundreds of seasonal workers every year but very few locals apply.

Now the county council has asked the government to give Cornwall an exemption on post-Brexit migration curbs for low-skilled workers."

All this "the Brits won't work" "the Brits are lazy" ect is a load of nonsence propergated by big buisness to keep wages suppressed while they employ cheap labour from other countries, another huge reason to leave the EU. Just imagine the uproar if someone were to say something equally as ridicules as the British won' get out of bed in the morning, but replace the word British with any ethnic minority, there'd be uproar and rightly so.

52 minutes ago, Granett said:

What absolute rubbish! The min hourly rate of pay, for example in Lithuania is something like €2.45, in Estonia €2.97, to these people working in the U.K. at the UK minimum wage......their hourly pay is at least three times what they would earn in their own countries.

To claim UK workers will not get out of bed to pick veg in the cold and rain even for £12/£14 an hour is rubbish, the employers will not pay £12/14 per hour when they can get foreign Labour to do it for minimum UK wages of what is it...........£7.50 an hour?

If these employers were to pay UK workers similarly to the rate which they pay foreign migrant workers (at three times their national minimum wage) that would be  something like £22.50 per hour!......

I leave others to decide their true motives for slagging off Brexit!

Edited by panoma1
Typo

34 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If these employers were to pay UK workers similarly to the rate which they pay foreign migrant workers (at three times their national minimum wage) that would be  something like £22.50 per hour!......

If they would be paying that, I just might have to think of a change of job. A lot less stress for nearly the same money!

Edited by Newbie to this
Missed a space

1 hour ago, Granett said:

As a resident of Grimsby I saw this headline and the numerous remainiacs who jumped on the story with out really looking at it in any detail.
Firstly, this is the processing sector asking, not the catching sector, ie the blokes at the dangerous end who have been robbed by the EU want out and their waters back but those in nice safe and warm offices want the exemptions as a lot of employees are minimum waged and EU citizens hence they see diminishing profits.

As a quick demonstration of how weak this argument is, Hilton group, one of the UKs largest and most prestigious food firms purchased Icelandic Seachill, a Grimsby based fish processing company for 80 million quid only one month ago.

Hardly a demonstration of lack of faith is it but a bit hypocritical to have representations made on their behalf for possible adverse operating conditions.  Investors don't seem phased either as the company shares rose immediately after the announcement.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/icelandic-seachill-bought-out-80m-644117

46 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

If they would be paying that, I just might have to think of a change of job. A lot less stress for nearly the same money!

You and me both !

12 -14 quid an hour ,Im calling BS on that ,Im surprised they didnt put in that you get a rub down off the buxom farmers daughter at the end of the days labours too :lol:

Show me the job advert with those wages or its fake news.

The argument for filling low paid jobs with migrants is fatally flawed if it comes with settlement rights, eventual citizenship and benefits. Settled migrants breed, and who is to say that the next generation born of migrants and exposed to our "enabling" education system will not want to pursue  a non manual job? Mass migration of whatever skill level is wrong. We should have a plan in place to match education and career aspirations of our own people to the needs of the labour market with a benefits system that rewards those who want to work.

We seem too have been short of doctors for decades yet no plan has been put in place to recruit and train more. Instead we steal the fully trained resource from poorer countries, which is hardly ethical. The same goes for other jobs.

1 minute ago, TriBsa said:

We seem too have been short of doctors for decades yet no plan has been put in place to recruit and train more. Instead we steal the fully trained resource from poorer countries, which is hardly ethical. The same goes for other jobs.

Agreed, but then when we do train a doctor or other specialised profession ,they often disappear off to sunnier ,better paid shores .

You cant blame them really either, the state of the NHS being what it is.

31 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You and me both !

12 -14 quid an hour ,Im calling BS on that ,Im surprised they didnt put in that you get a rub down off the buxom farmers daughter at the end of the days labours too :lol:

Show me the job advert with those wages or its fake news.

Now if a rub down from the farmer's daughter is on the cards, I may just work for minimum wage :lol:

14 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

The argument for filling low paid jobs with migrants is fatally flawed if it comes with settlement rights, eventual citizenship and benefits. Settled migrants breed, and who is to say that the next generation born of migrants and exposed to our "enabling" education system will not want to pursue  a non manual job? Mass migration of whatever skill level is wrong. We should have a plan in place to match education and career aspirations of our own people to the needs of the labour market with a benefits system that rewards those who want to work.

Agreed, the benefits system is not setup to get people back into work and I for one would much prefer to help people who want to work, rather than those who don't/won't.

The benifits system needs a major overhaul!