Homebuyer surveys

39TDS

I am wanting to buy an old house that even I as a layman can see has issues, never having bought a house before could you tell me what survey I need to be done and who to ask?

What I want is a list of what is wrong with the place, how much it would cost to fix and a guess at what the place is worth as is. Last bit not essential.

Better still, any advice would be gratefully received as to what questions I should be asking.

We just googled a few surveyors when we bought our last place and asked for quotes. They offer different levels of survey. We went for the full building survey. In the report he listed the bad bits and gave us his estimate of the property value as it stood.

As for how much the bits would cost to fix, the surveyor will give you a rough idea of the cost (if you ask for him to put it in the report), but you'd need a builder to give you an accurate price.

At least that's how we did it.

Talk to local builder first, he will probably give estimate free of charge for the sorting problems you have already identified, and anything else that he can spot. If the costs look horrendous, you can pull out without incurring surveyor’s fee. If builder’s estimates look feasible, then employ the surveyor.

I would discuss your needs, requirements and ideas with a builder. If a property is old and has 'issues', the chances are that you will be looking at a building programme over a period. Discuss this with at least a couple of builders, making clear what you want to achieve as a goal (including any modernisation/changes. Also check for any planning/listed building consent permissions and 'conservation area status' that may apply or be required for the work.

A surveyor will give you a snapshot of what is (mainly visibly) wrong based on what they can see without invasive work - and possibly some insight based on experience, though this isn't guaranteed - nor is it guaranteed to be right! Builders, especially local ones will have more idea of what problems may lie below the surface.

It may be that much of the 'remedial' work needed will align with work you had possibly had planned to bring the building to how you want it to be.

Based simply on my personal experience - do your best to establish and assess any wood rot (caused by damp/water ingress over a period). Dry rot can be difficult and frighteningly expensive to eradicate in an old building if it is widespread. Also note that most older properties that have been neglected require full rewiring and often replumbing - and this may involve plaster replacement followed by full redecoration.