Rayburn top re-enamel

Wooder

I have and old solid fuel Rayburn in our kitchen, we use it in the winter for warmth and cook on it most days, done some amazing Sunday dinners. but the enamel top is beginning to look tired with some chips in the black enamel down to the metal, my question:- does anyone know if the top can be re-enameled without taking the whole thing out? this would be a bit of a nightmare as they are so heavy!!

Depending on the model, you should find four silver chrome discs, one in each corner. Gently tap those undone with a small screwdriver and mallet. You will find a nut with flat screwdriver head beneath.

These four nuts hold the top on.

Finding a good cost effective company to do the re-enamel is a another thing.

Good luck.

Depending on the model, you should find four silver chrome discs, one in each corner. Gently tap those undone with a small screwdriver and mallet. You will find a nut with flat screwdriver head beneath.

These four nuts hold the top on.

Finding a good cost effective company to do the re-enamel is a another thing.

Good luck.

I will let you know how I get on!

Just be aware that a lot of the early Agas and Rayburns were full of asbestos as the insulating material.

this one is full of a wool like stuff between the panels just like loft insulation, thankyou for the warning!!!!!

tried to get the crome caps off the top to undo the screws last night, couldn't get them to come off.

Bit alarmist. They did have fire ropes that contain abestos but so did everything that had fireropes. It seems unlikely that these wont have been replaced yet.

For insulation, Ray burns use firebricks and AGAs use vermiculite.

The chrome caps often seize and have to be replaced. Try using a center pop to turn them anti-clockwise.

Edited by SpringDon

Bit alarmist. They did have fire ropes that contain abestos but so did everything that had fireropes. It seems unlikely that these wont have been replaced yet.

For insulation, Ray burns use firebricks and AGAs use vermiculite.

The chrome caps often seize and have to be replaced. Try using a center pop to turn them anti-clockwise.

I changed the fire bricks about two years ago, fairly easy job, they need to be change in sequence or they wont fit. changed the rope under the hot plates at the same time.

will give the top another go at the weekend when I have more time, I didnt try turning them anti clockwise!!