This years rape

aga man

When I last shot pigeons with JDog back in early August, I told him of one my farmers that had drilled winter OSR at the end of July.

We both agreed the farmer was barmey and is asking for disease/ slug problems.

The Farmer believes he is streets ahead of other farms in the area but I guess time will tell. I walked through some of rape this afternoon and was amazed at the height of it already.

I know the frost will knock it back, but at this rate it will be in flower by Christmas.

post-57269-0-53648600-1506274135_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

Very nice photo aga man , most of our rape went in early August along with a lot of Oilseed Radish rape , the O S R is looking alright but nowhere the height of the field in the photo , the Radish rape is now four or five inches high and doing well.

Maybe some of our intelligent farming friends will tell us what this Oilseed Radish rape is grown for and more importantly , is it any good for pigeons ?

P S ..... I have just found out it is a cover crop .

The times they are a changing! The farmer I shoot for has had a nightmare with rape this year, full of weeds and poor, I talked to another today and he said he's had to plant some that sounds like your radish sort marshman, as a green none consumable crop, as natural soil improver, my mate had to do this and used mustard then ploughed it in, nice picture agaman I thought for a second you'd had a day's shooting over it!

I've got a field full that's in flower already.........Looks out of place, makes you do a double take.

It would be pretty amazing if winter rape was in flower so early. It sounds like your rape has Charlock amongst it which is a weed that looks like rape.

It will normally die off when we start to get some frosts.

Charlock

post-57269-0-08900500-1506289285_thumb.jpg

Rape seems to be getting harder to establish year on year,if you dont get it sown & growing in August it struggles to progress if September is cool & wet !

That has been the case this year and there are some poor crops trying to grow atm.

Pigeons will really harm them too .....