Most Dangerous Plant in Britain

Bamo

Most dangerous plant is grass as being the most common it is also where people sustain the most injuries even excluding sports pitches or when we get the strimmer or mower out.

Appearing harmless, long grass in the summer has also accounted for many unwanted pregnancies ... :unhappy: also the pollen is responsible for thousands of people suffering with hay fever,

Sorry Blackpowder, " is all but gone" I don't think so, its is taking over here in the Kelso area. Yes the tweed forum spray it early in the season, but they don't do it all. I spray for about a week solid, and still it comes back with avengence.

Not seeing much on the Whiteadder this year or the Lower Tweed for that matter.

Blackpowder

I ended up strimming a patch of giant hog weed; fortunately I was wearing, gloves a face visor and jeans but unfortunately I was only wearing a T-shirt with exposed forearms.

I put photos of the blisters on here at the time (they were in my photo bucket account, but that's all gone Pete Tong now). A couple of blisters came up on my arms the size of a 5p piece and they were proper weird and nasty, took ages to go and have scarred.

The thing is, before I strimmed it I had never heard of it and I reckon that goes for 99% of the population.

Heaven help anyone who ingests any of the sap or gets splattered with the sap (there's enough of it in a stem).

Hog-weed, brings back a memory.

Summer 1986 me and a friend decided to bunk a day off school to go fishing to the river Medway first day of the season.

It was a very hot day so we were down to a pair of shorts, when we arrived there were giant plants everywhere along the river bank so being young and stupid we got the machetes out and chopped it all down and then had a sword fighting game with said stems.

Fished all day for 1 roach as obviously the fish weren't biting as it was so hot, decided to leave for home.

On our way back both of us were feeling really tired and sick but we put it down to the weather and parted company, home, shower and bed.

Next morning I was covered in big yellow watery pus filled blisters and felt as sick as a dog, the pain was immense.

My mother called in 3 different doctors and none of them could identify the cause, it wasn't until she saw my friends mother and they got talking that they put 2 and 2 together. He was in the same boat.

A month later I was back at school, however the scars took around 15 years to disappear.

Nasty stuff that Hog-weed.