Clays with a .410??

KB1

I'm thinking of getting my youngest boy into shooting clays and was considering starting him with a .410. Having never shot one in my life I wondered if anyone can shed some light on how much the .410 differs from a 12 or 20 Bore on clays? or indeed if they are suited for clays….?

I would try and start him off on a 20 bore.

.410's are more of an advanced cartridge and will probably be too difficult for a novice, me included.

the worst thing will be if he can't hit anything and he'll have more chance with a 20 bore. Some kick like a mule so try a few because recoil could also put him off.

One option is a semi auto like the armsan 620 junior. For £400 you get a gun that wont kick too hard due to being a semi and it comes with two stocks, one long and one short , both adjustable for drop and cast. This means he can grow into it.

If you want to go over and under then a berreta silver pigeon will be at the top end and possibly a yilditz at the other, I've use a webley 920 and they kick quite hard but that could have been the cartridge I was using so maybe give it a try because they are somewhere in the middle price wise.

Best of luck

There is nothing wrong with an open bored 410 shooting no7.5 and smaller shot as a starter gun, the lack of recoil and gun weight being advantageous.

If you chose to give a 8 year old a fully choked 410 shooting 9g of no5 you can understand why they struggle to hit anything and bring it down.

Within 30 to 35 yards the 410 is no more difficult then any other bore to learn with if using the appropriate choking and cartridges.

I regularly use 410s with kids the weight with a 20 or 28 bore are often the biggest issue and 410 is more than capable with the right targets as a novice gun, don't start with 150yrd battues but simple teal, slow going away and slow rabbits and teach them to shoot correctly. If you can't help them out as much as you can by getting a decent instructor to teach them.